LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
mine too, i have an AC and in the summer i run it once in awhile but if i'm in there i run it the whole time ever cince i got that it's been good but my planes i put a coat of parafin wax the soles and cheeks in use and before i put them up i wipe them down and put more parafin wax. this works for me. i have one shoulder plane i just got it's a veritas and that i have to put regular paste wax on just like my TS,Drill press,Jointer,Planer etc. GOOD LUCK!

·
Registered
103 Posts

·
Registered
867 Posts
Camellia oil. very lighy oil and never gums. really good for you hands too.

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/camelliaoilspray240ml.aspx

Roy underhill uses mutton tallow. boils his own.

In the summer when it gets seriously hot in California, I leave my planes out in the sun for a few minutes then wax the soles. they zip through wood after that.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I just use a good layer of paste wax too. I'm in the UK and my tools are mostly on open shelves in a draughty, unheated garage, and get used no more than once a week during winter, when the humidity is >80% for most of the time. As Rob says, it helps to get them warm before doing this the first time, so the wax gets into the surface pores. I have to use an oven though, not as much sun as in California.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.