LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New Project for DD Woodworking Class

Wednesday we used computers to research what our next woodworking project would be. This was due to it being very cold (for Florida) outside - 60 degrees.

We used Lumberjocks website as well as buildeazy for ideas. Not only were the students getting familiar with using a web browser, but they were getting excited about finding a project to do. We found 17 ideas and I will narrow the field down to about 3 or 4 based upon 1) what tools we have 2) the skill sets they need to learn 3) a project where the most can benefit. Projects that require a lot of 'front end' cutting or prep work also will be eliminated, such as a table with many angles to be cut on the table saw.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts

Wednesday we used computers to research what our next woodworking project would be. This was due to it being very cold (for Florida) outside - 60 degrees.

We used Lumberjocks website as well as buildeazy for ideas. Not only were the students getting familiar with using a web browser, but they were getting excited about finding a project to do. We found 17 ideas and I will narrow the field down to about 3 or 4 based upon 1) what tools we have 2) the skill sets they need to learn 3) a project where the most can benefit. Projects that require a lot of 'front end' cutting or prep work also will be eliminated, such as a table with many angles to be cut on the table saw.
Sounds like LJs makes a very positive contribution for your class Lincster. I am glad your students find enjoyment in it. Thanks for the contributions you make to the handicapped community. Those 2 hours a week means the world to them and I am happy that they have someone like you to give me that bright spot to their week.

David

·
Registered
504 Posts

Welcome to LJ lincster. I can tell from David's comment that there's more to this story. As for what appears to be your shop class, I suggest you post up a list of equipment and ask for suggestions on what to build. There's probably a lot of teachers on the site and a bunch of students too. Couldn't hurt.

Best,

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Woodworking class has been postponed for two weeks due to paperwork backlog (non-woodworking).
For anyone interested, here is a list of projects that we have completed (and the skills associated):
[tools/shop/materials safety was discussed prior to each class]
Peg Jumping Game (using a template, drill press)
Nail Name Plate (using a hammer, nails)
Birdhouse (woods, hammer use, hammering multiple parts together, exterior paints & painting, changing a plan)
Window Planter Box (woods, screwdriver/drill, copying a design - measuring without a ruler, paints & painting)
Bird Feeder (hand saw use, circular saw use, glues & gluing, hammering/nailing, exterior paints & painting)
Simple Jewelry Box (Angles, Gluing precut angled pieces together, gluing, stains & staining)
Planter Bench (Woods, Measuring, adjusting plans, hand drill use, using screws)
There are other non-woodworking projects we have done, but not included here (gardening, concrete crafts, etc).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update project 1

The participants decided on making either a chair or a garden bench. The garden bench looked easier and had less steps, fewer tools, etc. We used the plans from Outdoor Woodworking magazine. Unfortunately the weather did not cooperate, so we got a late start. I cut and dimensioned the pieces using my table saw. The participants glued up the slats and legs and dimensioned them on the planer.

There were numerous safety lessons on using the planer, router, and router table (prior to each use). The participants used the router table to round over the edges of the slats as well as the legs. We used a home-made mortising jig and the router to make mortises in the legs. I cut the tenons on my table saw.

I made a pattern for the curved edges for the rails, supports and the stretcher. The participants used the pattern, a pattern bit and plunge router to create the curve on these pieces. The pieces were wider than the bit, so we had to cut from both sides.

I cut the dadoes for the two supports and for the stretcher on my table saw. The participants did a dry fit and everything seems to fit together OK. They then used exterior glue on all the mortises and tenons and clamped it all together. Figuring out where the wobble was (two legs slightly askew) was fun - as the glue dried.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.