LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Last weekend my Dewalt 618 router stopped working. I took it to a local, authorized repair shop. His preliminary diagnosis was that the motor is shot. This surprised me because the router is only a few years old and has not had much use.
The repair guy mentioned that the problem might have been caused by a bad extension cord. He said that the Florida humidity causes more resistance in the cords and consequently caused the router to fail.
So now I have 2 questions for all y'all.
1. Are others having problems with Dewalt routers?
2. Is there any credence to the theory that old extension cords will cause power tools to fail?

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Are you talking Extension Cords or the cord that came with the 618. I never attach mine to a extension cord, only directly to an outlet/safety switch. I don't know about the extension cords in Florida, if that's a problem, which I could fathom that it could be, I would pack my crap and move far away.
Either way I would buy some new power cords and make them a bit thicker gauge. If I am correct it's a 12 AMP motor so don't use long cords with it.

Sorry for your loss, I will let mine know another own of its brethren has been lost.

·
Registered
9,174 Posts
That humidity thing is BS, but running an extension cord that is too long or undersized for the load can definately cause problems (regardless of how humid it is!). What size wire and how long was the extension cord?

Cheers,
Brad

·
Registered
10,887 Posts
Humidity doesn't cause resistance.

Extension cords no smaller than 16 ga @ 50', will prob not have enough resistance in most instances to make a difference at the tool.

It's the connections at the cord ends that matter.

Bigger cords will never hurt, but the size doesn't mean a single thing if the cord end is crap.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
I have two 618's, and a 611 and I haven't experienced any problems. Sorry you had bad luck with it. I use medium gauge 25' extension cords routinely without issue.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I'd never run a high amperage tool like a router on any extension cord less than 14 gauge or any longer than 25 ft if possible.
If I had to go longer I'd make it a 12 gauge cord.

Humidity is BS. Salt water is conductive however, so avoid wet cords.

·
Registered
118,619 Posts
Alaska Dude you have far to many Routers, you need some intervention. Pick out your 3 least favorite and send them to someone in need.. DO it Now>>>>
BILL
- wseand
Bill I really don't want anyone to think you can have too many routers next thing you know is our spouses start thinking that way ,in particular my wife ,she thinks 38 routers is the norm :)

Shoe Shelf Shelving Audio equipment Wood

Attachments

·
Registered
5,533 Posts
All a repair technician can say is the "motor is shot"?
Kinda like going to the doctor and having him tell you that "you are sick".
Find yourself a real technician who can perform the simple circuit tests and isolate the defective part. This guy only wants to lay blame on you for the tool to stop working.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Alaska Dude you have far to many Routers, you need some intervention. Pick out your 3 least favorite and send them to someone in need.. DO it Now>>>>
BILL
- wseand

Bill I really don t want anyone to think you can have too many routers next thing you know is our spouses start thinking that way ,in particular my wife ,she thinks 38 routers is the norm :)

Shoe Shelf Shelving Audio equipment Wood

- a1Jim
I'm so very impressed, I'm nearly speechless….

Attachments

·
Registered
118,619 Posts
Now that s impressive Jim. I am way behind the norm for sure, just in case the wives are lurking, 42 is the norm.
- wseand
Now were talking Bill ,ha ha It's almost like clamps you can never have enough ,one for each router bit. Right ?

·
Registered
202 Posts
I've read a lot about the 618 routers prematurity failing. they seem to work or fail. I'm looking at a bosh MRC23EVSK due to the mixed reviews on the 618.

The most common complaint is that the speed adjustment switch breaks and the router runs at full speed. It does not sound like the case here.

Voltage drop is a concern over long distances.

The motor on the 618 pulls up to 12 amps at 110v. Over 50 Feet on a 16ga cord thats just under a 5 percent drop or about 5 volts (assuming copper conductors) more if the conductor is some other material.

Unless the extension cord was damaged or the outlet was an extreme distance from the panel, the extension cord is likely not the problem. But as others have stated, using a good quality 12 or 10 awg extension cord reduces voltage drop.

If you ever feel an electrical cord after you use it, and it's hot then that's an indication that the cord may (not saying it is) be undersized.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.