LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
I'm making a threshold for a 6-foot-long opening between two rooms in my daughter's house. The opening itself is about 3"-4" wide, and is filled w/ a mixture of 2×4's, 4×4's, old masonry, etc. In short, it's really ugly!

I bought an oak 1×8 and planed it down to 5/8" thick (which may have been my first mistake). Now it turns out that the vertical difference between the floors in the two rooms isn't constant along the entire 6 feet. Instead, it's 1/2" at one end and 7/8" at the other end.

My first thought is to cut one or more tapered pieces of oak and glue them onto the bottom of the long piece to fill the gap. I have a table saw, a tapering jig, and some scrap pieces of oak flooring.

To make matters more complicated, I want to cut a slight lengthwise chamfer (5-10 degrees) on each side of the threshold. All of the wooden thresholds I've seen have this feature. Any advice you folks can give would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
I just made two a few weeks ago using oak. I planed the chamfer/angle with a hand planed to eye. Don't know if you have one or not.

As for the discrepancy between the two, is it possible the flooring is loose at all? I had the same issue and it turns out a part of the floor wasn't nailed down tight.

·
Registered
340 Posts
The higher side doesn't need a chamfer and will look better without. When I connected a tile bathroom floor to red oak hallway the red oak threshold was initially 1/4" proud to the tile. And it wasn't even. It was 1/4" at one end an dead even at the other. With the smoothing plane I evened it all out and it looks great. It is even with the tile. There is an uneven 1/4" nominal chamfer and total of 1/2" drop to the hallway floor but you couldn't tell even after I told you to look.
Table Wood Rectangle Flooring Floor

Attachments

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dave G: Thanks for the input; your project really turned out nicely! In my case, the higher floor is made of a "Pergo" type material which runs perpendicular to the threshold. The sections weren't cut off evenly, so I had planned to do one of two things to deal with this:

1) On the Pergo side, cut a rabbet on the threshold bottom to overlap the uneven ends, or
2) Take a wood chisel, or a Skil saw, and cut the Pergo ends along a straight line. That way, I could make the edge of the threshold butt up against the flooring (like you did w/ the tile side of your floor).

I would still have to deal with the slope on the lower side, and would still have to shim it up w/ one or more tapered pieces. As far as the chamfer goes, you guys have recommended using a hand plane. Well, I don't have a hand plane, or the skill to use one. I had planned to cut the chamfer either on my table saw, or go ahead and install it, then use my small Porter-Cable belt sander to create the chamfer.

What do you think?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.