LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
I know the guy from Eagle Lake Woodworking used a cordless drill to create a power lift for the router. Does anyone with a street or "shop" level engineering degree have any ideas what could be done to do the same with the table on the drill press.

Thanks for any input

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I ask this because the most recent design for the lift mechanism always seems to come loose and ends up bending. It did this on both of our drill presses, 2 different brands, Ridgid and Delta. In my opinion it is just a piss poor design. Yes I know it allows the table to pivot, but honestly most of use just need the table to go up and down.

Guess what Ridgid's answer was. Put some heavy zip ties or hose clamps around the top and bottom of the gear track. Yes that works, but why don't they design them better. Because after they are bent, it is hell trying to crank that table up.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I'm looking into the same thing. My drill press table hasn't changed in 50 years but I sure have! That thing gets heavier and heavier.

I've been looking at one of the trailer jacks from Harbor Freight (http://www.harborfreight.com/2000-lb-a-frame-trailer-jack-with-side-wind-handle-95157.html) that lists a 14" lift height. Its only $20 and look like with a little additional work it could be made into what is needed.

Or this one (http://www.harborfreight.com/3500-lb-capacity-drop-leg-trailer-jack-3961.html) which is $30 but appears to have an additional height adjustment. It might be better.

Rufus

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
one of my thoughts was the trailer jack option, but use the electric jack. I have one that I haven't gotten welded on my trailer yet. Would need to have a 12v transformer.

Might try the hex bolt option. Thanks for the suggestion

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.