LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hello everyone,

I am brand spanking new to the Lumberjocks site. Someone from the Kreg forums referred me here. He and I were discussing a turn on / turn off switch that will turn your vacuum on & off based upon your tool being turned on or off. He gave me a recommendation of such a device at Rockler.com. http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=17351&filter=power%20switches

I am simply doing my due diligence before purchasing. Does anyone have another brand / recommendation before I proceed?

.........HERE'S THE FOLLOW-UP TO MY QUESTION …........
After reading everyone's responses etc I ultimately returned the "switch" to Sears. I asked if they had another one and the guy in hardware was kind enough to test the new one with me before I left the store. We were able to power up a couple of those "heart-shaped" hand-held sanders and a Dewalt drill similar to the one I own. And the little sanders powered up the drill also.

I returned home with the new switch and used my drill as the "source" of power. I was able to successfully power up our Dyson (inside residential vac) at both very low drill speed and at full speed. And the vac had about a 6 or 7 second delay in turning off after the drill was powered down. This is exactly the operation a Kreg Jig user would want. I now have a "working switch" that will control my shop vac each time I pull the trigger on my Dewalt drill.

As a side note ….. I have also purchased an " i-socket " tool & vacuum switch from Woodcrafters. This device is supposed to do the same thing. It should arrive some time next week.

Thanks to everyone who responded. I appreciate your help.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Guys (and Ladies if appropriate),

I went to Sears today and bought their switch. However, I have encountered a problem.

I can power my electric drill using the switch.
When I activate the drill, I expect my RIGID shop vacuum to come on. It does not.

For the moment, my primary intended use is shop vac with my Kreg K3 Master jig.

Could it be that a drill is not "large enough" to trip the sensors in the Sears switch.

To be honest, I have NOT yet tried to work it with my table or mitre saw.

Anyone have any insights????

·
Registered
6,156 Posts
I have/use the iSocket (from Rockler). Works great … use it to turn on the dust collector when using my tablesaw, bandsaw, and router.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think I will like the i-socket too. It has the hook to put a screw into the electric socket. Hopefully it will not fall out of the plug. It will have a little weight on it between an extension cord and the drill cord.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.