LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
2481 - 2500 of 2664 Posts

·
Premium Member
28,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,481 ·
when I was a kid, we often rescued baby birds that fell out the nest. Our favorite was the Blue Jays.
I always wanted a pet raven or crow just like you see in the movies where some of the people have them for pets. I found one that fell out of its nest a few years ago and I was sooooooo excited that now I can raise one for a pet. BAD IDEA. This thing started screaming like bloody murder and when I got it into the house, it could fly enough to tear up the curtains and poop all over the furniture. I took it outside to put it back under the tree it fell out of and I was attacked by a dozen (seemed like a hundred) very protective crows. Won't be doing that again.
View attachment 3853325
welcome to the patio john 😎

·
Super Moderator
1,219 Posts
I have a 6' x 6' front entry/porch with a 10' tall brick archway over my front door. Last year a family of Barn Swallows decided to build a nest over the top of the arch on the inside, I didn't think anything of it until I had to scrape and wash the droppings off the front porch once a week. It does keep solicitors off your porch however! I decided after the eggs hatched and the chicks flew off I would take it down. Then these past two winters were really tough and I found dead birds in various areas outside around my house where they had tried to get warm but froze. Well instead of taking the nest down I left it alone and take a bunch of grass from my last lawn cutting of the year and place it in the various areas around the outside of the house where the birds froze hoping they will be smart enough to burrow inside it if they need to. I'm pretty sure the dogs won't harm small birds but crows would be fair game!

·
Premium Member
28,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,486 ·

·
Registered
6,943 Posts
Finally finding my way around better, lots to catch up on. And going through the forums is helping me find the buddies that I had.

Saw Elton John in Charlotte last weekend, what a great show. We stayed in town for the weekend and had a wonderful time. Lotts of restaurants within walking distance. And the hotel was basically next door, so we did not have to deal with traffic after the show.

·
Premium Member
28,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,490 ·
Finally finding my way around better, lots to catch up on. And going through the forums is helping me find the buddies that I had.

Saw Elton John in Charlotte last weekend, what a great show. We stayed in town for the weekend and had a wonderful time. Lotts of restaurants within walking distance. And the hotel was basically next door, so we did not have to deal with traffic after the show.
i would have loved to see him here in L.A. but he played dodger stadium and no way in hell i do concerts in sports venues ever again.we have way too many great concert venues. they love the big paycheck large venues offer.like he really needs the money. it's like when the stones just played at the rams new 5 billion stadium.oh hell no. (n)

·
Registered
9,595 Posts
dev i wonder what your neighbors thought when they saw you walking around swinging that thing over your head.😵
I had the same question! Of course personally I thought it was really cool...:D
Ok, I was always a brat... in my extended youth, I caught blow-flies and tied a length of light cotton thread around one of their legs and took it for a "walk". It flew in front of me held back by the thread... everyone thought is was cool. Eventually the fly tired and dropped hanging from the thread by it's leg exhausted (I quickly learned not to use heavy [jeans] thread)... Fortunately I also had a blue tongue lizzard that I taught to jump up for it's food. If I was a woodie back then, I could have built it a ramp to aid in it's leap.
just as long as i drive 😁
Not me nuts though... no amourosity implied!

·
Premium Member
28,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,494 ·
Ok, I was always a brat... in my extended youth, I caught blow-flies and tied a length of light cotton thread around one of their legs and took it for a "walk". It flew in front of me held back by the thread... everyone thought is was cool. Eventually the fly tired and dropped hanging from the thread by it's leg exhausted (I quickly learned not to use heavy [jeans] thread)... Fortunately I also had a blue tongue lizzard that I taught to jump up for it's food. If I was a woodie back then, I could have built it a ramp to aid in it's leap.

Not me nuts though... no amourosity implied!
duckie i just got a 50 gallon barrel of that super cheap vino you love,so grab a chair,or dw will,and have a drink buddy :LOL:

·
Registered
9,595 Posts
... it's like when the stones just played at the rams new 5 billion stadium.oh hell no. (n)
Change from the good old days... Never been a groupie and being tone deaf I listen to talk back radio and abandoned "music" when rap emerged.

However, back in 1985 (or there abouts) while visiting my local watering hole in Richmond Victoria (pic from the archives)...,
Sky Car Window Vehicle Building

I was wondering what all the commotion was about. It was the Stones (the real ones) jamming up on stage. I loved it as there were heaps of unattended full glasses of orphaned beer on the bar. The pub was a few hundred meters from the MCG (one of pottzy's favourite stadiums) where the Stones were to play that night.

I still preferred The Beatles, though they never earned me a free drink!

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Morning all.

Devin that dead crow video is a killer. We get all the northern crows down here each winter. LOTS of them!

Up at 3am. I'll get the time change sooner or later.

Golf today. Haven't played on over a month. The snowbirds have started to return

·
Registered
7,540 Posts
I have a 6' x 6' front entry/porch with a 10' tall brick archway over my front door. Last year a family of Barn Swallows decided to build a nest over the top of the arch on the inside, I didn't think anything of it until I had to scrape and wash the droppings off the front porch once a week. It does keep solicitors off your porch however! I decided after the eggs hatched and the chicks flew off I would take it down. Then these past two winters were really tough and I found dead birds in various areas outside around my house where they had tried to get warm but froze. Well instead of taking the nest down I left it alone and take a bunch of grass from my last lawn cutting of the year and place it in the various areas around the outside of the house where the birds froze hoping they will be smart enough to burrow inside it if they need to. I'm pretty sure the dogs won't harm small birds but crows would be fair game!
Have the same birds/issues.

Planning on building a bird condo that I'll install under the eave of the detached shop. North side, out of the summer heat and winter winds.

·
Registered
7,540 Posts
I used to travel to Italy for work. I don't ever recall seeing a golf course over there but I'm sure there must be many. The first thing my Italian colleagues would do when they landed in the US was head to a golf course.
I noticed the same thing with some coworkers on a fellowship from Japan. Spent all their free time at the golf course.

They said any venue like that in Japan was very expensive and required high $$$ membership fees. Said that even our most exclusive private courses were a bargain. Kinda makes one appreciate open spaces.

2481 - 2500 of 2664 Posts