LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
37 Posts
I just won an auction sight unseen for 2 Table Saws and a Radial arm saw for a little under three bills. It looks like they are in rough but repairable shape, if not the scrap cost and motors should cover my money. I'll find out when I pick them up later this week. I'd like some opinions about what I can expect and if it's worthwhile to work on restoring one or all of these tools.
It appears to me to be a Powermatic 66 form the mid to late 80's, A Rockwell/Delta Unisaw with a biesmeyer type fence rail and a Delta X series Radial Arm Saw.
Table Wood Flooring Automotive exterior Hardwood

Table Wood Rectangle Machine tool Machine

What say the Jocks?
Treasure or Trash?

Attachments

· Registered
399 Posts
Although I've never tried buying and reselling machinery, I know people tend to like buying nice shiny clean things. Clean up some of the rust, get the cob webs out, get them running, maybe powder coat the case, and they should be at least a lot easier to sell.

· Registered
4,762 Posts
From what I can see of the switch, they are most likely single phase, though not guaranteed. It should say clearly on the motor plate.
Yes, you could gloat a LOT about this. Agree that it is well worth your time to clean them up if you intend to re-sell them.
DanK

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've no idea what phase the TS are. If my middle school shop is any metric they should be 1 phase 3hp. I know the X series Radial Arm is 1 phase for sure so with those tow together Id hazard to say they are 1 phase.
If these both start up and the fences aren't missing (which I suspect the are) this may turn into a gloat. Either way that Powermatic will stay in my shop, I'm currently using a Rockwell contractors saw with a unifence.

· Registered
77 Posts
Being a member of the OWWM.org site (where they like to refurb. such tools); for a find like that, only one quote comes to mind. YOU SUCK!!!! I all reality, nice auction win. Let put it this way, the radial is probably worth 3bills alone.
Bob

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok so it looks like I have a 1 1/2 HP Rockwell 34-450. The cranks are a little rough, and squeak.
The other is a Powermatic 66 with a 2hp Leeson. The cranks are smoot as glass. Both tops will need to be recovered. But both will probably be excellent saws with minimal effort.

I'm afriad the Radial Arm is wrecked. The trigger is stuck back and the on/off switch has a keyed lock that is well locked. I assume that's an easy fix. But I also haven't been able to move any other of the adjustments, it does slide back and forth and crank up and down.

I need to add plugs on both TS and run a 220 outlet to my garage. So I can run and troubleshoot the 220vs

Which comes to my actual question. I grabbed this auction with the end goal of replacing my Rockwell Contractors saw. I'll add pictures tommorow to help but which should I keep and which should I sell. In my heart I want to keep the PM but the Unisaw seems more in my wheelhouse. Are there any other considerations I should make. Left va Right tilt, hp, in any event I have a Biesmeyer that will end up on the one I keep, and a unifence that can go on either of the rockwells but not the PM…it seems it's too wide.
Normally I feel like I'm pretty well versed on my machines but I'm really in a pickle.

· Registered
18,685 Posts
I'd say restore them both and see which one you like better. The sale from the other restoration and yor existing will more than make up any parts you need.

Hope you manage to save the RAS to.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.