LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hello everybody, I had a question regarding a piece of poplar I picked up today and wanted to see if anyone had experience with this.

I was in lowes doing my usual search for decent/abnormal wood and happened across a piece of poplar that is nearly half purple. I know that the green streaking can turn to a brown/golden color over time, but does anybody know if the purple portion of this piece will change that significantly? And if so, would you happen to know what to? Thanks!

I added a few pictures as well for those interested.

·
Registered
7,855 Posts
In my ooinion, poplar gets a bad rap as it is very beautiful and can really add to a project.
And the piece you have will prove it to you!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@soob I knew it didn't turn purple from green, I just wasn't sure if it would brown like the green portions of poplar do or if it would do something else. But good to know, thanks!

And I agree, poplar deserves a bit more credit. Especially with time, the color it turns after exposure is very attractive, and it's a pleasure to work with. I used this piece to add some color to a cutting board that I will be finishing up tonight (first shot at one and I'm excited to keep working on it), I'll be posting a picture of it in the projects thread tonight if anybody is interested in seeing it finished.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.