LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Project overview

In this series I will follow the making of a specially-designed box for petri dishes into which I'll grow Chlorociboria species fungi.

I of course could have come with your average box, but as cultivating fungi on agar is quite delicate matter, because of the risk of contamination by airborne molds, I ended up with a forced-air, filtered design for the box, with pressured air provided by a fish tank air compressor, which is quite overkill for the oxygen needs of fungi.

Circle Rectangle Font Parallel Drawing

After some serious thinking for a few weeks, I ended up with a design incorporating two compartments side by side: a filtration stage on one side, and the main culture chamber for six petri dishes on the other side, a major condition being that the whole system must fit into the Muji drawers I have in my dresser, away from light.
The culture chamber is covered with a lid with an inset glass, to allow for periodical checking of the growth status of the tiny beasts (which only grow under no light conditions!). Rubber foam on the underside of the lid helps keep everything free of any entrance paths for airborne molds, and in any case of a tiny air gap in the lid, the pressurized culture chamber remains isolated from molds anyway.

Rectangle Circle Font Parallel Symmetry

The petri dishes receive pressurized, filtered air from under the base plate. The base itself is made up of three 3mm MDF layers: a base plane, an isobare (constant pressure) air distributing plane, and an air delivery and dishes holding plane. Individual air outlets ensure that each petri dish receives an equal amount of air, and three auxiliary smaller air outlets direct the airflow towards the air exhaust layers of the filtration stage. This is blatant overkill, but I like overkill, and Chlorociboriae have revealed to seasoned pro biologists to be a bear to grow anyway. So whatever helps harness these suckers is good for me: when the time comes to grow them, I want them healthy and well fed.

Computer Personal computer Computer keyboard Peripheral Computer monitor

In part two we will review the making of the air-ducted base of the box.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Project overview

In this series I will follow the making of a specially-designed box for petri dishes into which I'll grow Chlorociboria species fungi.

I of course could have come with your average box, but as cultivating fungi on agar is quite delicate matter, because of the risk of contamination by airborne molds, I ended up with a forced-air, filtered design for the box, with pressured air provided by a fish tank air compressor, which is quite overkill for the oxygen needs of fungi.

After some serious thinking for a few weeks, I ended up with a design incorporating two compartments side by side: a filtration stage on one side, and the main culture chamber for six petri dishes on the other side, a major condition being that the whole system must fit into the Muji drawers I have in my dresser, away from light.
The culture chamber is covered with a lid with an inset glass, to allow for periodical checking of the growth status of the tiny beasts (which only grow under no light conditions!). Rubber foam on the underside of the lid helps keep everything free of any entrance paths for airborne molds, and in any case of a tiny air gap in the lid, the pressurized culture chamber remains isolated from molds anyway.

The petri dishes receive pressurized, filtered air from under the base plate. The base itself is made up of three 3mm MDF layers: a base plane, an isobare (constant pressure) air distributing plane, and an air delivery and dishes holding plane. Individual air outlets ensure that each petri dish receives an equal amount of air, and three auxiliary smaller air outlets direct the airflow towards the air exhaust layers of the filtration stage. This is blatant overkill, but I like overkill, and Chlorociboriae have revealed to seasoned pro biologists to be a bear to grow anyway. So whatever helps harness these suckers is good for me: when the time comes to grow them, I want them healthy and well fed.

(sorry for the messy desk :D )

Attachments

·
Registered
18,242 Posts
Project overview

You're growing this mold in anticipation of spalting lumber right? If so i thinks its a really cool project. Im not sure that i will ever get the science behind it but im excited to see it happen thats for sure. Good luck!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Project overview

@ chrisstef

(Fungus, not mold, only fungi actually spalt wood; molds only spalt human lungs ;) )

But yep, you got it, my goal is to grow spalting fungi to make my own spalted lumber :)

Attachments

·
Registered
18,242 Posts
Project overview

See i knew i wouldnt get the science behind it … lol. Regardless im willing to wait a year to see what happens.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Project overview

Messy desk…....... busy mind!! This is really interesting Thomas, looking forward to seeing how this works out. Don't I remember you studying physics at the university?

Attachments

·
Registered
6,058 Posts
Project overview

Messy desk no sir you should see mine?it's full of final demands from the Russian mafia.aka the children Alistair

Attachments

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Project overview

@ Chris: I'm sure as hell if we start discussing bacteria in relationship to beer you would get it straight away :p

@ Ken: yep, I study physics but I also have some remaining knowledge on biology, chemics, and many many other things. Too many actually ^^'

@ Alistair: hehehe, kids, you know ;) as long as they provide the wood and beer!

Attachments

·
Registered
13,958 Posts
Project overview

Thomas my wonderful mad sientist! It is amazing. I look so much forward to see what will come out of this.
The best of my thoughts my friend,
Mads

Attachments

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Project overview

Hey Mads, I for sure won't come out with something as beautiful as your scraper holders =D
I've spent part of the day routing out MDF for part two. More to come tomorrow ;)
Cheers my friend :)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Project overview

Awesome idea! I can't wait to see how this works out! I am in the process of spalting some maple, but I am going about it like a crass animal compared to this contraption of science (mine is a big red tub with dirt in the bottom) been 8 months now and I got some good color going, but I am really going for the black veins and the white of the Trametes. What woods are you going to work on. I have read that Populus, Acer, and Betula families take in the most green pigment almost as well as Quercus.
Oh BTW: al fungi are molds, not all molds are fungi.. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Project overview

Beech mainly, it works just fine :)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Project overview

or maybe the other way around.. isn't yeast a fungus? hmmm.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Project overview

NICE.. beech has amazing Parenchyma cells, thats gonna be HOT!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
the air-ducting base plate

This post is about making the base and its two routed layers.

Here I'm routing the air distributing plane, with my Dremel fitted with a tile router base and a downcutting bit, which prevents cutting all the way across the MDF in case the bit comes loose and keeps the edges of the routed channels nice and sharp.

Wood Art Flooring Office supplies Eyewear

I sized my air channels wide enough that I don't have to be really picky about their exact width, as long as Bernouilli's law is respected (that's why the intake path is wider than the following paths). Long story short, to get even pressure on the outlets, you have to have equal pressure along the air paths. Not rocket science, even though it's part of what actually makes rocket science ;)

Wood Twig Tints and shades Rectangle Beige

After 14 minutes of routing, I have my air distribution layer done and ready to be sanded. I will seal it later, once the base is fully assembled, with liquid varnish, force fed into it, then blown out with pressured air. This will ensure that no moisture gets trapped here and no molds already present in there can develop.

Rectangle Wood Flooring Tints and shades Beige

The top layer of the base receives its template. I switch the Dremel to the plunge router attachment, and drill out the 2 mm air outlets to the petri dishes. The central 1mm air outlets are drilled and slightly countersunk at a 45 degree angle to force the airflow towards the output filter intake.

Wood Flooring Floor Hardwood Rectangle

Here you can see the light peeking through one of the central outlets

Brown Wood Circle Tints and shades Symmetry

(I know all this probably sounds chinese to many of you… I'll make sure to post a video of the actual airflow of the finished box, with smoke to make it visible, once all is said and done; actual visualization sure helps understand what this system is all about!)

The three layers of the base are then glued together, ensuring even pressure on all the surface. The recesses for the petri dishes are routed out after the glue has fully cured and the air distribution system is sealed. Meanwhile, the three glued layers of the base are allowed to cure overnight in the, er, press.

Wood String instrument Musical instrument Gas String instrument

The routed out recesses for the petri dishes, this took some time as I only have a 2 mm aluminum machining bit for my Dremel.

Wood Rectangle Flooring Beige Wood stain

A quick sanding with the same setup helps get everything smooth enough and it's also a very easy way to remove the template residues.

Next step: build the frame.

Attachments

·
Registered
18,242 Posts

Here I'm routing the air distributing plane, with my Dremel fitted with a tile router base and a downcutting bit, which prevents cutting all the way across the MDF in case the bit comes loose and keeps the edges of the routed channels nice and sharp.

I sized my air channels wide enough that I don't have to be really picky about their exact width, as long as Bernouilli's law is respected (that's why the intake path is wider than the following paths). Long story short, to get even pressure on the outlets, you have to have equal pressure along the air paths. Not rocket science, even though it's part of what actually makes rocket science ;)

After 14 minutes of routing, I have my air distribution layer done and ready to be sanded. I will seal it later, once the base is fully assembled, with liquid varnish, force fed into it, then blown out with pressured air. This will ensure that no moisture gets trapped here and no molds already present in there can develop.

The top layer of the base receives its template. I switch the Dremel to the plunge router attachment, and drill out the 2 mm air outlets to the petri dishes. The central 1mm air outlets are drilled and slightly countersunk at a 45 degree angle to force the airflow towards the output filter intake.

(I know all this probably sounds chinese to many of you… I'll make sure to post a video of the actual airflow of the finished box, with smoke to make it visible, once all is said and done; actual visualization sure helps understand what this system is all about!)

The three layers of the base are then glued together, ensuring even pressure on all the surface. The recesses for the petri dishes are routed out after the glue has fully cured and the air distribution system is sealed. Meanwhile, the three glued layers of the base are allowed to cure overnight in the, er, press.

The routed out recesses for the petri dishes, this took some time as I only have a 2 mm aluminum machining bit for my Dremel.

A quick sanding with the same setup helps get everything smooth enough and it's also a very easy way to remove the template residues.

Movin right along the big sodabowski … lets grow some fungus!

Attachments

·
Registered
13,958 Posts

Soda you rock!
It is way too cooooool.
Best thoughts,
Mads

Attachments

·
Registered
1,144 Posts

Nice! Cool design even if I wasn't excited about it's purpose.

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.