LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its no Castle...

but I do believe my daughter will love it when she sees it for the first time tomorrow morning.

IMG_0105

I have been spending a lot of time recently in our basement recently. My wife and I decided instead of going and spending a ton of money on Christmas gifts we would finish our basement (I think the gifts would have cost less :) ) But anyway we now have a place for our daughter to play and we can move a lot of stuff out of our upstairs living room. We just finished setting the room up for her to see it in the morning.

This is what the place looked like about a month ago….

IMG_0071

I still have some work that will need to be done over the next couple of weeks including building a ladder to get into the loft (anyone has any ideas on the best way to build a kid friendly ladder I am open for suggestions) . I am doing this as a blog since there is still more work to b done, I will post the final outcome here and probably over at HR as well.

Merry Christmas to Everyone!!

CtL

·
Registered
822 Posts
Its no Castle...

but I do believe my daughter will love it when she sees it for the first time tomorrow morning.

IMG_0105

I have been spending a lot of time recently in our basement recently. My wife and I decided instead of going and spending a ton of money on Christmas gifts we would finish our basement (I think the gifts would have cost less :) ) But anyway we now have a place for our daughter to play and we can move a lot of stuff out of our upstairs living room. We just finished setting the room up for her to see it in the morning.

IMG_0071

I still have some work that will need to be done over the next couple of weeks including building a ladder to get into the loft (anyone has any ideas on the best way to build a kid friendly ladder I am open for suggestions) . I am doing this as a blog since there is still more work to b done, I will post the final outcome here and probably over at HR as well.

CtL
Hi Chris, Merry Christmas. I am sure your daughter will love the stage where she can put on productions for you and your wife. My daughter loves to do that.

I would look at something similar to what is used for bunk beds when it comes to making the ladder. I am no expert in this area but that should be a good place to start.

Merry Christmas to you and yours. May the next year bring you all Peace and Joy.

Greg

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Its no Castle...

IMG_0105

IMG_0071

CtL
A very wise decision to renovate your basement. That will bring more lasting happiness than the gifts. Your daughter and all of you are going to enjoy this change. I am sure you will get good advice from experts about the ladder. Safety should be the main criteria. Happy christmas.
Sharad

·
Registered
18,890 Posts
Its no Castle...

IMG_0105

IMG_0071

CtL
this is wonderful. She's going to love it; love it; love it.

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its no Castle...

IMG_0105

IMG_0071

CtL
Thanks All. She loves it. I am looking forward to doing some additional finishing work on it this week and then getting started in on my office.

We were even treated to a concert on her new keyboard..
IMG_1006

Oh and I almost forgot she also got her own workshop..
IMG_1010
Have to work on some safety rules with her I suppose.. :)

Hope everyone had a good holiday. Happy New Year.

CtL

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Let there be more light

Well it seems the little battery powered lights I orginally put in the playhouse just are not enough. So I needed to add some additional light. I needed something my daughter could turn off easily. So we found a lamp on clearance and got rid of the (H.M.) shade and bought something a little nicer.
A simple shelf bolted next to her loft with a place for some books, some Liquid Nail to attach the lamp and some extension chain added to the original in order to allow her to turn it on from the lower part of the playhouse.

IMG_0017

She will see it in little bit when she gets home. I am sure though she will be quite happy.

Thanks for looking.

CtL

·
Registered
10,899 Posts
Let there be more light

Well it seems the little battery powered lights I orginally put in the playhouse just are not enough. So I needed to add some additional light. I needed something my daughter could turn off easily. So we found a lamp on clearance and got rid of the (H.M.) shade and bought something a little nicer.
A simple shelf bolted next to her loft with a place for some books, some Liquid Nail to attach the lamp and some extension chain added to the original in order to allow her to turn it on from the lower part of the playhouse.

IMG_0017

She will see it in little bit when she gets home. I am sure though she will be quite happy.

Thanks for looking.

CtL
I´ll Bett she loves you for it
that´s it job done
go and reclaime the smile
from her face papa

Dennis

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Let there be more light

IMG_0017

Thanks for looking.

CtL
Thanks Dennis. She was quite happy and is looking forward to some reading time for herself.

CtL

·
Registered
10,899 Posts
Let there be more light

IMG_0017

Thanks for looking.

CtL
:) be sure it´s woodworking and design books
then you learn her the rest

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Lighting Retrofit

So as I previously posted in Let there be more light I added a lamp to my daughters playhouse. I had just used some liquid nail to attach it to the shelf. This did a good job of holding up for a few months until one of her friends decided to use the lamp pull cord as a swing. The lip around the lamp was not that large and the lamp fell. Luckily it fell into the loft and not the entire way to the floor.
But a new holding mechanism was needed.. So here is the new way it works.

IMG_0205

I drilled a hole through the small shelf and put it right down over the lamp then secured all with glue and some clamping. The same gang of kids is here today and so far so good.

CtL

·
Registered
118,619 Posts
Lighting Retrofit

So as I previously posted in Let there be more light I added a lamp to my daughters playhouse. I had just used some liquid nail to attach it to the shelf. This did a good job of holding up for a few months until one of her friends decided to use the lamp pull cord as a swing. The lip around the lamp was not that large and the lamp fell. Luckily it fell into the loft and not the entire way to the floor.
But a new holding mechanism was needed.. So here is the new way it works.

IMG_0205

I drilled a hole through the small shelf and put it right down over the lamp then secured all with glue and some clamping. The same gang of kids is here today and so far so good.

CtL
Unique design

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Doll Stuff- Many more to come

Well, My daughter received an American Girl (type) doll for Christmas this year and of course the requests started pretty early in the day on Christmas. My Daughter is in gymnastics right now and she wanted her doll to be able to do some of the fun things that she does, she quickly requested a balance beam and a set of bars for her doll. Since the balance beam was a bit faster and easier I went with it first.
Table Furniture Wood Desk Gas

Picture frame Smile Wood Leisure Fun

The other starter project that we decided on was a simple swing to have for two of her dolls while she is swinging. Sophia helped me to drill out the holes once I got them marked then we just strung it up with some simple twine. The black strap is a piece of elastic that is ran through 4 holes in the board to act as a seatbelt. It works pretty well as long as the dolls stay balanced. I am sure we will make a different one in the future.

Leisure Shade Art Event Design

Property Picture frame Building House Interior design

These are the first of many projects to come. Sophia has many ideas as do I, she is also going to be taking a sewing class beginning next week as part of her Christmas gifts, the teacher of the class is very interested in the possibility of each of the girls building a bed for their dolls and then making all of the blankets and such in class. It sounds as if I am going to be a large part of making the bed. :)

I am looking forward to spending the shop time with my daughter. Thanks all for looking.

CtL

Attachments

·
Registered
138 Posts

Well, My daughter received an American Girl (type) doll for Christmas this year and of course the requests started pretty early in the day on Christmas. My Daughter is in gymnastics right now and she wanted her doll to be able to do some of the fun things that she does, she quickly requested a balance beam and a set of bars for her doll. Since the balance beam was a bit faster and easier I went with it first.

The other starter project that we decided on was a simple swing to have for two of her dolls while she is swinging. Sophia helped me to drill out the holes once I got them marked then we just strung it up with some simple twine. The black strap is a piece of elastic that is ran through 4 holes in the board to act as a seatbelt. It works pretty well as long as the dolls stay balanced. I am sure we will make a different one in the future.

These are the first of many projects to come. Sophia has many ideas as do I, she is also going to be taking a sewing class beginning next week as part of her Christmas gifts, the teacher of the class is very interested in the possibility of each of the girls building a bed for their dolls and then making all of the blankets and such in class. It sounds as if I am going to be a large part of making the bed. :)

I am looking forward to spending the shop time with my daughter. Thanks all for looking.

CtL
Yes, you will be in large part of bed building, but what super fun!

My Daughter asked for the same doll, but we did not get it, grumpy Santa issue. She does however want a Lego table that she has offered to work with me on the design.

cheers, johnl

Attachments

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

CtL
John that sound s like it could be a fun project.Course anytime in the shop with a daughter (or son) can be a great project. :) I look forward to seeing it.

CtL

Attachments

·
Registered
1,362 Posts

CtL
Wood Rectangle Magenta Hardwood Font

Wood Creative arts Magenta Art Rectangle

CHRIS QUERIDO:
MIRA QUE PROYECTO SENCILLO PARA LAS MUÑECAS DE SOFÍA :)
MI HIJA SOFÍA YA TIENE UNA ;-D

Attachments

·
Registered
18,890 Posts

CtL
how wonderful … inspiring creativity and skills in the next generation ….. and she has a swing in her playroom? One lucky little lady.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,415 Posts

CtL
Quite the wonderful girl cave she has there. Great way to keep your daughter active and teach her all sorts
of activities and crafts. The happiness and love easily shows. Thank you for sharing.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

CtL
Thank you everyone for the comments I am quite looking forward to the various projects we have on the agenda and those we will add. Also kind of looking forward to possibly working with the other girls to help them make their own stuff and teach them some basic skills.

@Ms.Debbie & Bluepine- thanks much, I love working with her. Our backyard consists of a side yard and my neighbors house so there is no room to put a playset. I put it in the basement instead. She has a swing and sliding board that lets her access the 2nd story of her playhouse. We will slowly be transitioning the playroom into an older theme as she grows up and interest changes.

@ Kova- Lo que una cama de gran muñeca para la muñeca de Sophia. Voy a hacer algo que posiblemente podría ser apiladas con el fin de hacer las camas literas de estilo, ya que tiene dos muñecas.

CtL

Attachments

·
Registered
18,890 Posts

CtL
one lucky little girl

and a wonderful inspiration for other adult-child projects!

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.