LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was bidding on one on ebay. "Vintage" they said, here is the listing:

"Since it has been used, please don't expect a pristine plane. The item is for sale with a super low starting price as is, so what you see is what you get. Overall, it's in below average shape, and does show signs of age, storage, and use. The wood handle has borken, but I bet if you're reading this, you have some good clamps and wood glue that could take care of that. Also, the hole where the blade comes out is chipped at the bottom, and there is surface rust like you'd expect on an old wood plane. Please judge condition for yourself based on the scan, or with additional questions. "

I can buy a new Stanley #62 from Toolbarn.com for $126.00 or so. This one with "borken" parts went for $162.50.

Since I want to use it and not collect it I plan on buying it new if I can't find a decent used one for a good price.

·
Registered
8,740 Posts
I'll second Michael - those are going on eBay for asking prices of +$300 when you can buy a brand new LV for less - and get a much higher valued and quality tool. not sure why those older planes picked up so much on value.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I bought one lot of 5 planes and scrapers for around $60.00 a few weeks ago. It had a nice #7, a craftsman #5 equivalent that was never used that I could tell (somewhat rusty) a Stanley 78 rabbet plane, a #80 handled scraper(I have been looking for one of these since my last one broke) and a small block plane. The #7 was sharp and ready to use when I got it so someone had it as a user, the craftsman and the 78 were both kind of rusty but Evaporust cleaned them up pretty well. The scraper and small block plane were both in good shape.

So there are decent deals to be had. Just sometimes people want some worse than others.

·
Registered
409 Posts
i wish i would have seen this post a few days ago i just left a nice little 62 at the flea market on wed. i will see if he still has it next Wednesday and get back to you.

·
Registered
459 Posts
That would be nice of you.

If it is there and you would be so kind to bargain for it. As long as the parts are there and the body isn't cracked or badly chipped I would be interested. The blade does not matter. I have a Lie-Nielson blade for it already.

Here is a link to a site that tells what to look for Stanley Planes #60 thru #70

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
I have a Stanley No. 62 that I would trade you for a pirate's treasure chest, two kidneys and your first born child. Its my favorite plane, I won't take anything less.

You might find this interesting, its how I old favorite was re-born:

http://lumberjocks.com/Blake/blog/11919

http://lumberjocks.com/Blake/blog/11967

http://lumberjocks.com/Blake/blog/12195

If my price is too high good luck finding one, they are great "user" planes. If you are patient you will find a good deal somewhere. And by the way, if you can get a good enough deal, the handle can be fixed. Mine was broken in two places.

Another thing to keep in mind when you are shopping for these planes is that according to Patrick's Blood and Gore, "the mouth often chips, especially in the area behind the cutter. You can flip over ten of these plane, and eight of them will be chipped, one will not be chipped but repaired, and the last perfect."

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That link in my last post goes to the "Blood and Gore" page for that plane. The one I can get from Toolbarn is the Stanley "Sweetheart" remake for 125.99. plus shipping. It does look like it would be a honey.

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
The new Stanley SW line has gotten terrible reviews from several publications including Fine Woodworking. I am not a fan. I think they missed the mark. An old one would be much better quality.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.