LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi guys,

As I continue the finish work on my home I am more and more starting to believe a planer would make sense and be helpful. I plan on casing all my doors, windows, exterior trim, and making my baseboard. I have a great table saw, Powermatic 66. I recently installed the INCRA TS LS super system. I really love it, I think its essential for a novice like myself. I bolted my Porter Cable 90690 router and the wonder fence works awesome for edge jointing.

My conundrum:

I would like to buy a planer, but don't like buying imported tools. The majority of benchtop routers are imported (Dewalt, Grizzly, Craftsman). I still believe the USA makes the best tools, and I like to support the American workforce when I can.

At the same time it really isn't making sense for me to purchase a $2500+ planer.

Should I shoot for the $350-400 Dewalt or try and find a Powermatic 15 planer. I found one in Santa Barbara for $750. I am not sure it is the Taiwanese model though.

Any one have experience with PM 15 planer? What about the DW734 and DW735? I heard good things about the Makita 2012 planer as well.

Thanks,

Marco

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.