LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am selling my sawstop contractor saw. I have posted in craigslist, but I am concerned my market area is limited for people to be interested in this type of saw. I was interested if anyone knows a better place to list tools that maybe better viewed a woodworker audience to help sell faster.

Thanks

·
Registered
9,005 Posts
You can start with CL, you're not obligated to sell if you don't get a price that's acceptable to you. You never know.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
With a saw like that, I'd definitely extend to 200 mile radius.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Craigslist is one of the best places to post. Ebay also works pretty well but they take a cut of course.

If your saw is getting absolutely no serious bites after say 2 or 3 weeks of craigslist posting then chances are pretty good you are asking too much. Used equipment is typically about 50% of new equipment.

Assuming your saw is in perfect condition then your price should be between 800 and 950 dollars depending on which model and if you have the extension table. If your saw is damaged or missing parts then expect less.

·
Registered
382 Posts
And thar be your problem. You are asking 200 dollars less then the same saw brand new (minus the cast iron wings and instead with the sheet metal versions). But if you want to be totally fair then you are asking 400 less then the brand new version. This is way too high, nearing even the craigslist posters have gone nuts post that circles around. To put it another way, you are selling a used saw for 80% of the new saws value with cast iron wings, or 89% of the saw with the sheet metal wings. Folks are not going to take a plunge into a used tool that is this expensive and this close to full retail cost.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Another place to advertise is the local news paper classifieds section.
Do you have PennySaver in your area? It is like AutoTrader, but has listings for anything.
In my community we have a Facebook Exchange. It is something of an on-line yard sale, but i have sold several things on there.

If the picture you posted here is the picture your using to try and sell the saw then you might fair better by cleaning up the saw and taking a picture that doesn't have all the clutter around it. Hang a white sheet to create a clean background.

Good luck.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Like the other poster said clean off the table. A cluttered saw says to me less $ as someone doesn't use it and wants to get rid of it. For premium price it needs to look new and useable, tools like SawStop and Festool will command a premium price if they look "new" condition. Not sure if 1600 is your bottom price, but I would get under to say 1575. It sounds more than the 25 less to me. I would also list in the surrounding cities up to 3 hours from you. Good luck

·
Registered
382 Posts
Actually, the retail price if you build it online at re sawstop website is 2147. Plus 150 shipping.

- LTW
That's nice.

Rockler sells it for 1800 with 100 per cast iron extension. And if you buy it in store you don't need to pay shipping. Woodcraft charges 100$ more for the saw but same situation applies. Assume your potential buyers are familiar with the 2 most popular woodworking stores in the country.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Actually, the retail price if you build it online at re sawstop website is 2147. Plus 150 shipping.

- LTW

That s nice.

Rockler sells it for 1800 with 100 per cast iron extension. And if you buy it in store you don t need to pay shipping. Woodcraft charges 100$ more for the saw but same situation applies. Assume your potential buyers are familiar with the 2 most popular woodworking stores in the country.

- Minorhero
So at your price with sales tax it comes out to be darn near the same as the online price. Assuming my states sales tax there is a whopping $4 difference.

·
Registered
756 Posts
I agree you're asking too much. Personally, when I'm shopping on Craigslist I'm looking for at least a 30-50% discount off the new-in-box street price, otherwise I might as well buy new. Keep in mind that a new saw also comes with a warranty.

You can always ask a higher price but expect to be low-balled if anyone calls. Many potential buyers might not even bother calling if they don't think you'll budge on price. You're better off starting a little above what you need to get out of it, and letting the buyer negotiate you down an extra $50-$100 on this saw.

As mds2 mentioned, the difference between sales tax and shipping is often negligible.

·
Registered
9,170 Posts
A few hundred less than what you would pay for a new one with warranty isn't going to get much offers, particularly on a contractor type saw. Even if you go with your ~2200 +/- price of 'building' one online, somewhere around $1100 or less would be a much more reasonable asking price and would get it more attention. Still a hard sell, given that you can usually pick up older contractor saws in the $500 or less price range, or a nice Unisaw for around $1000 or less.

And like others have pointed out.. clean that thing up and take some better photos with proper lighting. It amazes me when people either put out CL ads with no photos, or photos that are so bad they might as well had left them off (not saying yours are.. just pointing out what I have observed locally). You are trying to market the thing, so make it look as good as you can to attract potential buyers. And expand your posting to nearby cities.. Nashville, Chattanooga and maybe even as far as Atlanta or Charlotte. Large cities get more eyeballs and more potential buyers (although they also increase the competition which drives prices down).

Cheers,
Brad

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.