Ah, the ability to jump OVER (leave) the high wall of the rebate with the #45 (vs. a #78) makes total sense… That's an awesome pic. Perfect tool for the job, PaBull! Kudos to you for the hybrid woodworking!Gluing, pocket holes and stanley #45
Today I went ahead and got the boards for the top and sides all cut up. The sides are nice and straight. And we are gluing up the boards. I do them one board at a time. this way I have a better control over the alignment of the boards and I have to do less planing and or sanding later.
Below is an other picture with the designing of the dresser. I used a FWW magazine to get some inspiration on how the build the "guts" of a dresser. I need to see this coming together still. I am used to making cabinets with face frame, but you loose a lot of space behind the frame.
It's time to take the Kreg pocket hole jig out of the closet. I really like this jig. I have used this jig throughout my house for all the face frames on the cabinets and for straight board glue ups. Below are the inner members (dividers and guides?) of the dresser.
Sorry, this was not my picture, they used oak not pine. Besides that, my bench does not look as clean.
After the sides and top are dry, they come out of the clamps and they need to be flattened somewhat. I used the sander for this (no need for a picture here, what do you think?).
Next is the dado's in the sides for the drawer supports. For this I need to refer back to a project posted a while back. I was inspired by Marc Spagnuolo. He posted a jig that would making dado's very easy.
After looking at this video, I came up with a little different version of the jig:
'Never Fail' dado jig for the router
It is time to put the cabinet together. This is by far the hardest one I assembled. With all the dado's, I was not sure where to start.
It came together better than expected. One of the hardest parts was the compound inaccuracy of the dado's. You can not see it on the picture, but the bottom stretcher is slightly bowed because all the verticals a just a little too tall.
And than you find out you forgot something. I have a bad case of CRS (Can't Remember ********************). I forgot to put the rabbit in the back of the side panels for the 1/4 back. Now what…...
I don't know what you guys would have done in this case, I thought of making a jig for the router, but that was too much work. I thought of getting a chisel.
But than I remembered having a #45 sitting in a dusty corner. I had that thing for years, never used it. It was more a woodworkers collector thing. I dug it up and sharpened the blade. It took some setting up. Come parts were rusted up a little.
I was amazed how well old Betsy worked out, once set up it took less than 5 minutes per side to remove the wood.
Problem solved. On to the next thing.
As I mentioned, no dovetails and no wood-on-wood drawers. So I went to my favorite specialty hardware store, the Home Depot for drawer slides. And spend a life savings on this pile of hardware. (why did we need this many drawers again?)
For the drawers I like to use Baltic Birch. It is stable, it is straight and best of all, it was given to me by my friend.
One little problem is that the thickness is all over the board, so I need to watch it when cutting the front and back to size. This was going to be an issue anyway, because not all openings are exactly the same.
Did I mention that I have a bad case of CRS…. So I use the cabinet to keep track of all my drawer parts.
This will be it for a while, because we have a busy schedule the rest of the week.
Take care, Pabull.
27.4 KB Views: 3
33.1 KB Views: 4
27.5 KB Views: 4
26.8 KB Views: 2
25.9 KB Views: 2
31.4 KB Views: 3
21.2 KB Views: 4
18.3 KB Views: 3
23.8 KB Views: 3
26.3 KB Views: 4
22.9 KB Views: 2
28 KB Views: 2