LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16,431 Posts
I do it all the time.

Just clamp it tightly in a vise very close to where you intend to cut it, and use a sharp hacksaw. Any rough edges can be cleaned up with a file when you are done.

·
Registered
4,787 Posts
My advice is to take a scrap piece of wood and cut a groove in it that is just wide enough to for the hinge to set down into. The groove should be deep enough for the hinge to be 1/2" below the surface. With a hacksaw cut down through the wood and the hinge. In my experience, this gives you a cleaner cut primarily because the hacksaw cannot jump around when you are starting.

Note - If you have a reciprocating saw with a metal blade, it will work well with my technique. If you try a reciprocating saw on a hinge that is sticking out of a vice, the saw will jump around too much.

·
Registered
253 Posts
to be real safe for a first timer…use a hack saw. I have done this twice and if I had gone with power…results could have been disasterous. depending your hinges can be very brittle…as is the case with the ones I bought at a big box. They bend and twist easy..

Go with your gut on this you will be fine.

·
Registered
197 Posts
You will also want to watch where the screw holes are in the hinge. For instance, you may want to cut 4" off each end instead of just cutting 8" off the one end.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.