LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm new to turning pens and currently I use Shellwax to finish my pens and other small turned projects , but the finish is just quite not perfect. I know that I can get a better finish (shine). What are some good finishes and how can I apply them to get that perfect finish.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Yep, coating the pen in CA and polishing like plastic work really well for me. Takes some extra work and special care when assembling your pen. If your parts are just a bit crooked as your press them together you run the risk of "cracking" the CA topcoat that you just put in all the time and effort to polish. This also happens if the inside of your tubes are gunked up from the blank gluing process. That extra layer of gunk between the tube and the pen part will cause the tube to "expand" during assembly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.