LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
61 - 69 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Almost there

I'm down to the final bits of construction now. I'll be down to just sanding and finishing in no time. To finish up the light box, I added some baltic birch ply mounting tabs to hold some captive lock nuts. These will hold the acrylic panel and the rear panel in place.

Wood Automotive tire Material property Font Pattern

The nuts were a snug fit - I had to tap them down into place.
Wood Automotive tire Material property Hardwood Flooring

I made a little template to help locate the tabs equidistant from each side.
Rectangle Wood Beige Flooring Floor

Wood Rectangle Wood stain Table Hardwood

I placed the mounting tabs so that they would be directly in line with the first and last louver pivot points so the dark spot they create on the lit acrylic won't be too noticeable.
Rectangle Wood Table Beige Shelving

Rectangle Wood Wood stain Hardwood Table

The back panel is 1/4" BBP with laminated veneer of Alaskan Yellow Cedar on the exterior surface.
Table Rectangle Wood Coffee table Font

I still need to work out what type of ventilation openings I want to put on the back, but I've got the rocker switch and dimmer knob placement worked out.
Rectangle Wood Grey Beige Floor

Rectangle Road surface Grey Wood Brick

I did opt to buy a different strip of LEDs. These ones are 2700K, so warm white. I'm happy that I did. I couldn't resist another test assembly to see how it looks lit in the living room. So far, so good, I think.

Amber Rectangle Art Bar stool Paint
Small but neat little details. Makes all the difference

Attachments

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Almost there

I'm down to the final bits of construction now. I'll be down to just sanding and finishing in no time. To finish up the light box, I added some baltic birch ply mounting tabs to hold some captive lock nuts. These will hold the acrylic panel and the rear panel in place.

Wood Automotive tire Material property Font Pattern

The nuts were a snug fit - I had to tap them down into place.
Wood Automotive tire Material property Hardwood Flooring

I made a little template to help locate the tabs equidistant from each side.
Rectangle Wood Beige Flooring Floor

Wood Rectangle Wood stain Table Hardwood

I placed the mounting tabs so that they would be directly in line with the first and last louver pivot points so the dark spot they create on the lit acrylic won't be too noticeable.
Rectangle Wood Table Beige Shelving

Rectangle Wood Wood stain Hardwood Table

The back panel is 1/4" BBP with laminated veneer of Alaskan Yellow Cedar on the exterior surface.
Table Rectangle Wood Coffee table Font

I still need to work out what type of ventilation openings I want to put on the back, but I've got the rocker switch and dimmer knob placement worked out.
Rectangle Wood Grey Beige Floor

Rectangle Road surface Grey Wood Brick

I did opt to buy a different strip of LEDs. These ones are 2700K, so warm white. I'm happy that I did. I couldn't resist another test assembly to see how it looks lit in the living room. So far, so good, I think.

Amber Rectangle Art Bar stool Paint
Looking good, Ross!!

Jim

- Jim Jakosh
Small but neat little details. Makes all the difference

- kaerlighedsbamsen
Thanks, guys.

Attachments

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
The finale

I was able to finish the lamp over the weekend - about 1-1/2 months after starting. Here are a few final bits, finishing, and assembly.

I punched a couple of leather discs from an old belt to use on the tips of the legs. I glued these on with contact cement prior to finishing.

Wood Rectangle Flooring Office supplies Brush

Wood Musical instrument Wood stain Hardwood Guitar accessory

I added some ventilation to the back panel, which should also provide a bit of back-lighting on the wall behind the lamp. I played around with different ideas for the pattern, but eventually landed on this. I got the idea from some mid-century modern stencils I saw online.

Rectangle Wood Font Wall Gas

On the ends of the aluminum track for the LED strips, I used a rotary tool to create a little cove to keep the jumper wires from being pinched.
Brown Wood Rectangle Purple Floor

With all the sanding done, I was ready for finish. Again I'm using Odie's Oil. I like the soft luster and the silky feel it gives. A little of this stuff goes a long way.

Wood Paint Wood stain Electric blue Hardwood

All the lamp ingredients finished and ready for assembly.
Wood Rectangle Wooden block Wood stain Hardwood

Wood Wood stain Office supplies Hardwood Hand tool

Stool Wood Wood stain Hardwood Chair

Wood Shelf Floor Shelving Plank

I found some twisted, cloth-wrapped wire that had a retro look that I liked. The brown color is close enough to that of the cherry, so if I work out a way to hide the wire behind a leg, it shouldn't stand-out too much. I ended up dropping the cord through the bottom of the box, directly behind the turret.
Wood Font Wood stain Rectangle Hardwood

Wood Wood stain Natural material Hardwood Plank

Wood Rectangle Shelf Wood stain Material property

And we have a lamp! I'll create a project post once it's in the living room and I take a few more photos.
Wood Rectangle Wood stain Hardwood Tints and shades

Furniture Wood Table Floor Wood stain

Attachments

·
Registered
7,564 Posts
The finale

I was able to finish the lamp over the weekend - about 1-1/2 months after starting. Here are a few final bits, finishing, and assembly.

I punched a couple of leather discs from an old belt to use on the tips of the legs. I glued these on with contact cement prior to finishing.

I added some ventilation to the back panel, which should also provide a bit of back-lighting on the wall behind the lamp. I played around with different ideas for the pattern, but eventually landed on this. I got the idea from some mid-century modern stencils I saw online.

On the ends of the aluminum track for the LED strips, I used a rotary tool to create a little cove to keep the jumper wires from being pinched.

With all the sanding done, I was ready for finish. Again I'm using Odie's Oil. I like the soft luster and the silky feel it gives. A little of this stuff goes a long way.

I found some twisted, cloth-wrapped wire that had a retro look that I liked. The brown color is close enough to that of the cherry, so if I work out a way to hide the wire behind a leg, it shouldn't stand-out too much. I ended up dropping the cord through the bottom of the box, directly behind the turret.

And we have a lamp! I'll create a project post once it's in the living room and I take a few more photos.

It lives!

Looks intimidating, fantastic concept to end product 8^)

Attachments

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
The finale

It lives!

Looks intimidating, fantastic concept to end product 8^)

- splintergroup
If only it had a motorized swivel on the turret. That would causes some shudders. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
The finale

That came out to your usual high standard, good to see. Now you just need to make that door in the back match the lamp..

Attachments

·
Registered
408 Posts
The finale

Great project, great result!

Attachments

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
The finale

That came out to your usual high standard, good to see. Now you just need to make that door in the back match the lamp..
- kaerlighedsbamsen
Thanks. The original lamp was zelkova, which had a lot more movement to it than the cherry and AYC that I used. In fact, the original looked more like those ash doors in my workshop!

Great project, great result!

- Ron Stewart
Thanks, Ron.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
The finale

Thanks. The original lamp was zelkova, which had a lot more movement to it than the cherry and AYC that I used. In fact, the original looked more like those ash doors in my workshop!
I quite like that you used wood with more subdued grain patterns in your version. Cleaner look and makes the design stand out

Attachments

61 - 69 of 69 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.