LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Hi,

I have been working on getting my shop (garage) organized and cleaned up. I currently have some 2" PVC and a dust deputy off a 6.5HP Shopvac - it works ok but not great so I am looking into upgrade options before winter here in WI sets in.

I am thinking of getting the Harbor Freight 2HP model as I have seen many good reviews of it (when modified) and a Super Dust Deputy to go with it.

I don't really want to take up that much space in my already cramped space so I am wondering if anyone here has put their dust collector outside - I was thinking of building a simple 2×4 + OSB or Plywood box to go around it and set it on paver bricks - just curious if others had dome something similar and did their dust turn into concrete from moisture? Also I am wondering about how much pipe can be run off a model like that - From where the unit would have to sit outside to the furthest point would be about 20-25 ft and I would need a couple t's off of that with about 8 foot runs each - would that be to much pipe for a collector like that?

The main dust makers I use are a 6.5" jointer, tablesaw and a 13" planer - the shopvac does about as good as I think can be done on the miter, RAS and a couple sanders..

So anyone else have a similar situation or setup to what I am thinking of doing that can offer some advice?

Thanks,

Tom

·
Registered
6,288 Posts
The problem w/ that set up is that you will be sucking expensive heated air out of the shop into the cold Wisconsin wild. A possible solution, would be to build an insulated shed for the dust collector and then return the filtered air back into the shop.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Bondo,

I am not really concerned about loosing heat via sucking it out into the system - it won't be on for extended periods, I mainly build smaller hobby projects so it's a couple cuts here and there, a couple boards through the planer or jointer - so time wise it won't be on long but those machines make massive messes and I spend far more time cleaning up then I want to, really don't want to sink $500 or $600 more into it but if it cuts cleanup which I think it will over time it will be well worth it (I hope).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.