LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello all,
I want a folding outfeed table and I found a Delta 50-302 on Craigslist for listed at $225, has anyone used one of those?
I like the idea of being able to fold it down as I am limited on space and I am trying to decide weather to fabricate one or just save the time and buy one?

Thanks,
Kevin

·
Registered
7,343 Posts
Why buy it, if you can build it….? If you have the tools and machines, take a little time and design one the way you want it, cause you may not be able to find the one you want/ need…..I don't buy anything if I can build it…I built my own, and the satisfaction of building it yourself is unsurpassed…...Besides, it's a good project to hone your skills on…....Buying is easy…..building is satisfaction knowing you did it yourself….....Bragging rights…...

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I built mine because I wasn't crazy about the options available commercially at the time. I don't think it took much longer than it would to install a commercial one, and it was very cheap to build. I used melamine for the top, and I was concerned that it would chip excessively over time and I might end up replacing it. After 12 years of use, it has held up just fine. A few small chips but nothing that bothers me.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Why buy it, if you can build it….? If you have the tools and machines, take a little time and design one the way you want it, cause you may not be able to find the one you want/ need…..I don t buy anything if I can build it…I built my own, and the satisfaction of building it yourself is unsurpassed…...Besides, it s a good project to hone your skills on…....Buying is easy…..building is satisfaction knowing you did it yourself….....Bragging rights…...

- Rick Dennington
Rick is the proof of my theorem on the law of woodworking.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
If you can build your own you have the ability to make it do what you want. I build a lot of my stuff to make it fit where I want to maximize its utility. I use off the shelf hardware when i can to save time or because I can not form a large metal piece. Try building one.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I built my outfeed table because I did not like the looks of the store bought ones. I looked on line to find some examples. They did not have a set of plans but once you get the idea, it is not hard to build.

The hardest part for me was drilling holes in my new table saw. Not the actual drilling but putting holes in my new table saw.

·
Registered
13,731 Posts
The law of woodworking, 80/20. Only 20% of time is spent producing
something the wife actually wants. The other 80% is spent working on
stuff to make the shop better.

- skatefriday
Turned out to be so true. I used to shake my head at guys who spent so much time making jigs, organizing their shop, making tools-now I'm one of those guys.

Kevhp - if you have more money than time = buy; otherwise build.

·
Registered
911 Posts
I built one for my R4512, but this was before I had kids and time was less of a rare commodity for me. I pulled it apart when I moved (a decision I really regret), and now if I could buy one for a reasonable price I'd do it even though I know I could do it again myself. On the other hand, I wouldn't want to spend more than $75 for one because I know I built my own for about $20 in hardware and scrap wood.

In your case, given that a folding outfeed isn't that difficult to make, I'd say build one and spend the $225 on something you can't easily build for yourself - unless your time/money ratio slants HEAVILY towards the latter.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am getting the feeling you guys think I should build one. That is what I was leaning toward but I have a lot of other projects going on (termite remediation) and I liked the idea of a compact solution. I think I need to consider a few options like maybe a mobile bench that. Would double as a healthy table. Thanks for all the suggestions

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello all,
I want a folding outfeed table and I found a Delta 50-302 on Craigslist for listed at $225, has anyone used one of those?
I like the idea of being able to fold it down as I am limited on space and I am trying to decide weather to fabricate one or just save the time and buy one?

Thanks,
Kevin

- Kevhp
I have a still in box/never used Delta Outfeed Table 50-302 for sale if interested. Email me at [email protected]

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I just completed one a couple weeks ago. I really enjoy the building, the satisfaction with doing it and it works better than I had hoped… Including the cost of a full sheet of 3/4" Baltic Birch , of which I still have half the sheet left for other jigs, the fold down shelf brackets and some nuts and bolts,, I have probably less than $80 in it.

·
Registered
11,156 Posts
I'd build. For a few bux you could make a basic outfeed like the Delta design. For the 250, you would be most of the way to building one of many rolling outfeed cabinets, with miles of storage to house all of your TS stuff. You tube is lousy with them, and a number have been posted here with enough pics to follow along pretty well.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.