LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Administrator
3,370 Posts
Tableware Drinkware Coffee cup Cup Dishware

Which (if any) online tools, apps or software do you use for woodworking?

If you could design one for your work, what would it do?

Attachments

·
Registered
877 Posts
I'm like Roger, if I can find the pencil or pad.

I wouldn't mind having a robot that would do the kind of art that (Shipwright) is doing with his latest jewelry box. That is the only way art like that would get done around here….LOL

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Newer had much use for digital tools in the shop and try to keep my shop time non-digital as much as possible.
Use a normal pocket calculator mostly and some times helped by this simple triangle solver: http://www.pagetutor.com/trigcalc/trig.html
Not sure if it counts but have had immense use and joy from using youtube as a learning platform in the many corners of the wood working world. Would think that a carefully curated list of videos somehow packed (and frequently updated) would be usefull to many.

·
Premium Member
11,568 Posts
I keep certain sites on the browser of my smart phone…LJ(of course), Wood-database.com, Blood and Gore,...for quick reference(depending on connection-usually unavailable when I need it LOL). No Apps, per se. Hadn't really thought about it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Oh, right, sorry, well then I'd have to say Evernote or onenote to keep up with my material lists and ideas. Both will sync to your other devices or send messages to other people on your network.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My family lives about 16 hours away, so I enjoy using the camera on my phone and uploading the pictures to OneDrive (you could also use Google Drive, Dropbox, or any other online storage). I then send my family a link to the project's folder, and they can open that folder any time to see the latest pictures as I progress.

http://www.onedrive.com

I also use OneNote to keep my list of to-dos and shopping list throughout the project as Jughandle mentioned.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
The Woodshop Widget - it contains a
Board volume calc
decimal to fraction calc
Wood movement calc
Shellac mix calc
Wood species library
Species comparison library
Squareness calc

·
Registered
11,233 Posts
Lots of good ideas…

Earlextech named a bunch of good ones…

... I don't have a cell phone… So, I should talk? :)

·
Administrator
3,370 Posts
Lots of good ideas…

Earlextech named a bunch of good ones…

... I don t have a cell phone… So, I should talk? :)

- Joe Lyddon
You don't have to have a cell phone to use online tools!

·
Registered
13,731 Posts
Not many. I used to have a conversion app but never used it. I don't have a computer in the shop and don't want one, that's where I go to get away from that stuff :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Pencil and paper for rough draft, Sketch up for detailed design. Thanks to Boxcarmarty for the tip on Woodworking Utilities I downloaded that one.

·
Registered
4,644 Posts
like others - Sketch-up is great.

I don't use it enough to stay rust free, and I cannot put Johnsons Paste Wax on they brain.
So I find graph paper and pencil is much faster than relearning Sketch-up.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.