LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
262K views 485 replies 153 participants last post by  Davevand 
#1 ·
Introduction - Sign Up and Objective

Hi, Everybody!

My name is Sheila Landry, although many of you may know me as 'Scrollgirl'. I've had that nickname for over fifteen years now and chose it because I LOVE SCROLL SAWING!

I work as a contributing editor for Creative Woodworks and Crafts magazine and I also have my own pattern business called Sheila Landry Designs where I sell my original scroll saw and painting patterns.

I was asked by MsDebbie if I would like to host an online scroll saw class here on Lumberjocks and I gave her a resounding YES as an answer! So here we are!

During my first year here on Lumberjocks, I realized that many of you have sad and lonely scroll saws sitting in a dark, deep corner of your shop or basement, covered with dust and rotting. Others have fresh and new scroll saws, shiny out of the box, and you want to be able to use these saws to create beautiful and magical woodworking projects, but don't really know where to start. And there are still more of you who already make wonderful projects, and may just want to come along for the ride to help contribute to the class and perhaps learn something new in the process.

Everyone is welcome!

Cat Felidae Carnivore Small to medium-sized cats Whiskers

In conducting this class, I want you all to know that no matter what your skill, I am looking forward to having you here. I am going to pace the class slowly so that it is geared for the absolute beginner (After all - we aren't going anywhere, are we?) and if it moves a bit too slow for some people, that will be a good time for those people to chime in and also help out with their own experiences and advice.

Scroll sawing - as with many things - is not an exact science. There are many roads to the destination. While one thing may work well for one person, other things may work well for others. There are several "right" ways to do things and as long as they are safe, than I will encourage you to use the method that you are most comfortable with.

As far as safety goes, you need to use your normal safety practices that you do in your shop when using the scroll saw. Use your own judgment and follow your manufacturer's instructions on the equipment and supplies. I cannot accept responsibility for accidents resulting from how you use the information provided here. I merely want to show you which techniques work for me.

With that said, I hope this class proves to be both fun and educational to you all. There are many different applications in which you can use your scroll saw in creating other, larger projects. Or you can use it on its own to make projects ranging to basic and simple to very intricate and elaborate. There really is no limit, which is why I find working with the scroll saw so exciting. It is a very versatile tool that requires a small amount of space (I scroll saw on the side of my kitchen!) and makes very little mess, unlike larger saws or other tools. It is a great way to do a little creative woodworking even if you have a very limited area to work in and budget.

In creating the projects for the class, I have decided that since there are many different techniques and aspects to scroll sawing, the best way to show you these is by us creating several smaller projects. I will be sharing with you many different small ornament patterns that I have designed, and each which will focus on a particular technique. This will allow us to work on different thicknesses of wood using different sizes and types of blades. It will also be less costly to you than investing in one large project or lots of materials. You will be able to use scraps from around your shop to practice on and keep you cost minimal. You can also practice by making the items several times if necessary, to really understand what you are learning to do.

I will give a general supply list on the next post. But for now, I would like to as you to 'sign up' so I have an idea of how many people are going to follow along. Please acknowledge your participation either in the comment section here, or via a personal message to me. I ask that you give me your name (first name is fine, but both names is OK too), email, experience you have on the scroll saw, and if you wish, a couple of lines as to your goals for the class or what you want to see here. It will help me make a better class for you and address your needs better.

I will be mainly teaching through this blog, but I will also have some videos from time to time to illustrate different cutting techniques and other issues that come up. I will do as many videos as possible, but I don't want to limit those who are on dial-up connections and don't have access to internet videos, as some have brought to my attention. Even if I do a illustrate an idea using a video, I will still have photographs presented here to try to show the same thing on the blog, so everyone can follow.

So that is it for now. I will do my best to make this a fun and educational experience for all of us. I hope that you will join us!

Attachments

See less See more
Reactions: vaughnrik549
#2 ·

Hi, Everybody!

My name is Sheila Landry, although many of you may know me as 'Scrollgirl'. I've had that nickname for over fifteen years now and chose it because I LOVE SCROLL SAWING!

I work as a contributing editor for Creative Woodworks and Crafts magazine and I also have my own pattern business called Sheila Landry Designs where I sell my original scroll saw and painting patterns.

I was asked by MsDebbie if I would like to host an online scroll saw class here on Lumberjocks and I gave her a resounding YES as an answer! So here we are!

During my first year here on Lumberjocks, I realized that many of you have sad and lonely scroll saws sitting in a dark, deep corner of your shop or basement, covered with dust and rotting. Others have fresh and new scroll saws, shiny out of the box, and you want to be able to use these saws to create beautiful and magical woodworking projects, but don't really know where to start. And there are still more of you who already make wonderful projects, and may just want to come along for the ride to help contribute to the class and perhaps learn something new in the process.

Everyone is welcome!

In conducting this class, I want you all to know that no matter what your skill, I am looking forward to having you here. I am going to pace the class slowly so that it is geared for the absolute beginner (After all - we aren't going anywhere, are we?) and if it moves a bit too slow for some people, that will be a good time for those people to chime in and also help out with their own experiences and advice.

Scroll sawing - as with many things - is not an exact science. There are many roads to the destination. While one thing may work well for one person, other things may work well for others. There are several "right" ways to do things and as long as they are safe, than I will encourage you to use the method that you are most comfortable with.

As far as safety goes, you need to use your normal safety practices that you do in your shop when using the scroll saw. Use your own judgment and follow your manufacturer's instructions on the equipment and supplies. I cannot accept responsibility for accidents resulting from how you use the information provided here. I merely want to show you which techniques work for me.

With that said, I hope this class proves to be both fun and educational to you all. There are many different applications in which you can use your scroll saw in creating other, larger projects. Or you can use it on its own to make projects ranging to basic and simple to very intricate and elaborate. There really is no limit, which is why I find working with the scroll saw so exciting. It is a very versatile tool that requires a small amount of space (I scroll saw on the side of my kitchen!) and makes very little mess, unlike larger saws or other tools. It is a great way to do a little creative woodworking even if you have a very limited area to work in and budget.

In creating the projects for the class, I have decided that since there are many different techniques and aspects to scroll sawing, the best way to show you these is by us creating several smaller projects. I will be sharing with you many different small ornament patterns that I have designed, and each which will focus on a particular technique. This will allow us to work on different thicknesses of wood using different sizes and types of blades. It will also be less costly to you than investing in one large project or lots of materials. You will be able to use scraps from around your shop to practice on and keep you cost minimal. You can also practice by making the items several times if necessary, to really understand what you are learning to do.

I will give a general supply list on the next post. But for now, I would like to as you to 'sign up' so I have an idea of how many people are going to follow along. Please acknowledge your participation either in the comment section here, or via a personal message to me. I ask that you give me your name (first name is fine, but both names is OK too), email, experience you have on the scroll saw, and if you wish, a couple of lines as to your goals for the class or what you want to see here. It will help me make a better class for you and address your needs better.

I will be mainly teaching through this blog, but I will also have some videos from time to time to illustrate different cutting techniques and other issues that come up. I will do as many videos as possible, but I don't want to limit those who are on dial-up connections and don't have access to internet videos, as some have brought to my attention. Even if I do a illustrate an idea using a video, I will still have photographs presented here to try to show the same thing on the blog, so everyone can follow.

So that is it for now. I will do my best to make this a fun and educational experience for all of us. I hope that you will join us!
I always wondered if your avatar photo was fake or not. Nice to see how you really look!

Thanks for offering to teach the class. I will most definitely be following along for this class, but will have to delay any actual work until later. I am in the first group you mention above although I do blow the dust off my scrollsaw from time to time.

Attachments

#3 ·

Hi, Everybody!

Everyone is welcome!

Sheila, My SS is probably 4 years old, and never has been opened. Still in the original box. Yes, I'd like to sign up if you don't mind. Do you take folks like me? LOL! :) I've actually used the ones from time to time up at the shop where I teach, but that is not often so I'm not a total noob.

Attachments

#4 ·

Hi, Everybody!

Everyone is welcome!

Hi Shelia !
I started scrolling with a hand saw in school , now I have graduated to the EX21. I attend the seminar at Saratoga Springs . Had a great time there
So I'll be following along with you and sure I'll proable learn something as you have said there is several ways to do things . If I can help any of the fellow members I'll be more than happy to help along the way if I can .
GRRRRRrr were the heck is that list of test aaa mean questions for Shelia.
Don't be afraid to ask question .

Steve and rance you are in for a treat
David

Attachments

#5 ·

Hi, Everybody!

Everyone is welcome!

Count me in Sheila!!
I've got experience but, like you, would be fascinated to learn how others have learned and adapted their own techniques…
Looking forward to it!! :)

Attachments

#6 ·

Hi, Everybody!

Everyone is welcome!

Sign me up,I'll dust off my saw and buy some blades.

Attachments

#7 ·

Hi, Everybody!

Everyone is welcome!

Sign me up for the class as I always look for more instruction. What is the dress code???? LOL

Attachments

#8 ·

Hi, Everybody!

Everyone is welcome!

Sheila, I just now saw this. I'm in here for a quick break from carving under my tree and I'm fixing to go back out there. I'm sure going to be thinking about this awfully hard and will let you know later. :)

Attachments

#9 ·

Hi, Everybody!

Everyone is welcome!

I'm in .. not sure how much time I'll have for the actual projects but I'm definitely following along.
All of my scroll saw projects are posted here at LumberJocks. I haven't done many but it would be a shame not to put the machine to use again :)

Attachments

#10 ·

Hi, Everybody!

Everyone is welcome!

I will be there too. Name the date and time!!! I have four scroll saws one of which is my main saw now. It is a Shopsmith and I love it.

Attachments

#11 ·

Hi, Everybody!

Everyone is welcome!

Count me in I need lots of help. You helped me buy a scroll say but it doesn't run itself, and has to rely on me….. Looking forward what you can do with me as your putty, wood putty that is.

-Mike

Attachments

#12 ·

Hi, Everybody!

Everyone is welcome!

I'm in. I've been turning quite a bit, and can see some applications for scroll work (bowl lids, vessel trim, etc…) Could you incorporate a "round" project? And jewelry (ear rings, pins) from scraps is another area of interest. My scroll saw could certainly see some more use!

Attachments

#13 ·

Hi, Everybody!

Everyone is welcome!

Sheila, you asked yesterday if I was going to join, and the answer is yes, in a way. As you know, I don't have a scrollsaw to dust off. That's the great thing about LJ's, you put it up and it's there forever! I'll be following along, and then when I get one I can review. Hopefully there will be a discussion along the way about pros and cons of different machines.

Thanks for doing this Sheila!

John A.

Attachments

#14 ·

Hi, Everybody!

Everyone is welcome!

I'm in.

Attachments

#15 ·

Hi, Everybody!

Everyone is welcome!

Count me in also as a dedicated follower for now. Don't know if I will be able to actually create a project as I am in the middle of a few deadline projects…. but will sure absorb with much interest as much information that you can provide. Thank you so much for doing this!!!!

Attachments

#16 ·

Hi, Everybody!

Everyone is welcome!

Perfect. I have the Dewalt on a mobile base & have been looking for some ideas & inspiration to brush up on skills & expand my knowledge base. My only ss experience was a week long marquetry class 3 yrs ago. I enjoyed the process, bought the saw (I am famous for my used tool finds), built the stand…it came with some blades of various types.

I need to learn more about what blade to use for which application, what material & how to prepare & how to learn using this saw for work other than marquetry. Also have been interested in learning intarsia. I think your idea to do several small projects to learn different techniques is a great one. I look forward to it. Thank you!

Attachments

#17 ·

Hi, Everybody!

Everyone is welcome!

I'd like to follow along since i have a scroll saw but never used it.

Attachments

#18 ·

Hi, Everybody!

Everyone is welcome!

I'll be following along, but will be following along. However, I'm going to be a very bad student in the beginning. I'm in the middle of a very large project, as you already know, and will not be actually doing the project in the beginning. I will still be readin all material and watching all videos. I may learn something new. I will even keep my opinions to myself.
As for stating the status of our scroll saws, as I've seen some have done, I will follow the lead.
My scroll saw is covered in dust too. The only thing is, mine is covered in saw dust from said scroll saw.

Attachments

#19 ·

Hi, Everybody!

Everyone is welcome!

I have done some very basic scroll sawing and believe I have a lousy scrollsaw which jumps and bumps along and often breaks a blade. I pretty much gave up on it for that reason. If you can direct me to something you or anyone else has written to help me find a reasonably priced saw then I would LOVE to learn the correct ways to use it. It can add a lot to my woodworking projects.

Thank you!

Attachments

#20 ·

Hi, Everybody!

Everyone is welcome!

Love to join in.

Attachments

#21 ·

Hi, Everybody!

Everyone is welcome!

Well first I went to look for my scroll saw to get ready for school…..

Electrical wiring Wood Gas Machine Electrical supply

Then I plugged it in to see if it works…..Nope…;(
Watch Wood Engineering Machine Bumper

I think my scroll saw is off to a bad start….;(

Attachments

#22 ·

Hi, Everybody!

Everyone is welcome!

I'm in and looking forward to it.

Attachments

#23 ·

Hi, Everybody!

Everyone is welcome!

Hi Sheila,

Thanks for starting this endeavor. I'm in and hope I can pick up some good ideas.

Joe Schoppy

Attachments

#24 ·

Hi, Everybody!

Everyone is welcome!

Wow! I am so happy to see all the people that are going to be involved with this. Even the people just coming to watch is more than I expected. I am happy that you are excited about this and I hope we will all have a great time and learn something in the process.

I will probably post a list of the most common blades I will be using and the basic supplies we will need by the weekend. This way it will give you all the weekend to collect what you might need in order to participate. Then we can get the ball rolling by the beginning of next week and start. Remember everyone - this is not an 'all or nothing' type of class. You can jump in or out at any time that suits your schedule or learning level. I am going to keep the lessons short and focused so that those coming and going can pinpoint which parts they want to learn. I think it is easy to digest the information that way, too.

I'll talk about saws in the next section when I talk about supplies. I suppose that is going to be the hardest part of coordinating this whole class is the many different types of saws we all have. Between everyone though, we should be able to tackle any issues that come up. A big thanks to those of you who have experience and want to help and chime in. I don't for a second think that I have all the answers. But working as a group, I think we are going to do fine with helping each other along and improving our skills. I always say I learn from my students every time I teach and this time will be no different I am sure.

So keep on checking in and introducing yourself. I love to meet you all and it makes me happy to see so many new (to me) faces and old friends. :)

Sheila

Attachments

#25 ·

Hi, Everybody!

Everyone is welcome!

Hi Shelia!
Count me in! I need all the tips I can get ;-)

I am seriously thinking of getting an Excalibur scrollsaw to replace my Hegner machine, which has a lot of vibrations making it difficult to stay on the lines.

Edith (Bearpie's sweetie)

Attachments

#26 ·

Hi, Everybody!

Everyone is welcome!

I'm in

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.