LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner

Oldest Working Machine?

8K views 30 replies 27 participants last post by  slopecarver 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Just thought it might be interesting to see who has the oldest working power tool? I'll start, I've got a 1951 Walker-Turner drill press.

Photobucket

See less See more
#7 ·
gosh ,
i never even noticed ,
my tools either work ,
or they don't !
i've got 3 different catagories of tools .
1- shop tools .
2- job site tools .
3- tons of old tools ( some might work , and some may not )
but i can't bring myself to throw away ,
i give some to W.W. that need them .

#9 ·
Wow, I thought I was doing well with a couple of 1953 Shopsmiths, but I guess I'm way outa my league here, although if you count the # of tools they each convert to with accessories, (about 11 or 12) I'm in pretty good shape on sheer numbers.

I really think, though, that using the older power tools is kind of a cult-like thing. At least for me, it's not just the use/utility of the tool, it's feeling you get using something that old. Also, they never seem to break or wear out.

It's the same with many of my hand tools (Planes, saws & chisels). I think my newest hand plane is over 60 years old & most are much older. -SST

#11 ·
No need to shut down the thread. I could be disqualified on a techincality because I don't have it hooked to a motor at the moment. Besides, I love old machines. OWWM.org is one of my other favorite sites.

That little thing is quite heavy though. It only takes a 4"x36" belt, but it weighs around 50#. You don't see castings like that anymore.

#12 ·
david ,
i take it that you are talking about a belt sander ?
but it reminds me of my buddy ,
that went back to the doctor after they removed his colostomy bag.
the doctor told him not to lift anything over 5 lbs. .
and he said ,
" i guess i'll have to get my wife to help me take a leak " !

#13 ·
I have a Delta Table Saw. I'm not sure, but it should be from the late 40's or early 50's
I started using it in the early 60's . It was old then. I still use it now, only recently took it out of my door shop.
Still has the original motor and bearings (although they need to be changed)

#15 ·
I have a 1930s vintage bench-top shaper, a 1945 dewalt "portable" 12" RAS, a 1954 Delta double-arm 10" RAS, and two Sears bench top tools-table saw and jig saw-from the 1920s?, both of which have not been reconditioned. if you really want to see numerous old woodworking machines, go to http://www.owwm.com, which is related to http://www.owwm.org, mentioned above

#16 ·
The oldest wood working tool I have is my 103.0404 Craftsman Scroll Saw (mid 1940's). The oldest tool that I have is my Companion bench grinder (late 1930's). I use it for more than just wood working so I don't really put it in the same category. Several other old tools, both working and undergoing resto, but these are my oldest.

#20 · (Edited by Moderator)
I am in the final phase of restoration on a Walker Turner 16-544 TA 1180B table saw. The serial number puts it at 1944-45. It was completely stripped to bare metal, primed and painted. All of the bearings have been replaced, motor has had new bearings installed and new wiring. I have recently found an original Walker Turner blade guard that will be installed. It has been a lot of fun and work restoring the saw.

#23 ·
I've got a Colcord-Wright drill press without any date info to go on . The best guess I've been able to come up with from internet research is maybe around 1910-20. A motor is real obviously not the original power source as it's definitely something added on later. It takes really wide leather belts that were driven by something not part of the DP.
Here's mine but it's hard to see the DP with the lighting, the table I built for it and other stuff hung on it.

Here's a clean one that I spotted on eBay a while back

#26 ·
How about this Sioux electric drill. It was a gift to my brother from my father. I'm guessing it would have to have been between 1935 and 1944. Not much earlier or later. Brushes have been replaced a couple of times. It has a retrofitted switch, original parts not available. And, it has a newer cord and plug. It works quite well. I don't use it but I hold onto it for sentimental reasons.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.