LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
I often find myself needing a scrap of paper and pencil to do a quick calculation or sketch. Sometimes I want to make a note to myself to remember to buy some #8 1" screws or what the next few steps on my current project should be.

This gave me the idea of getting a chalkboard. But then it would take up space that I could better use for something else. Then I remembered that when I was in college, I had an office mate who painted the refrigerator in our office so that we could use it as a chalkboard.

I bought some black Rust-Oleum Chalkboard paint. I put it on a cabinet that I have hanging right by my workbench. The cabinet is unfinished, so I put on a coat of primer and two coats of the Rust-Oleum. The cabinet door was built from some leftover not-so-great plywood from having a new roof put on our house. I think that it will still work well enough for my needs. If not, I will put something smother on the door and then paint that.

Finding an actual chalk eraser was harder than I expected. I found one at an office supply store.

Here it is with the secret detailed plans for my current project. I am now on step #3, which is not as easy as it looks :).

·
Registered
12,820 Posts
Great idea….the chalk board, not the schedule of work :). Looks like one of mine.

·
Registered
370 Posts
i was thinking of doing something similar because the other day while cutting some doors for cupboards I relied on my memory for the size i needed and i was wrong

so now i have to cut some new doors

Hooky

·
Registered
5,687 Posts
Ohhh you do the planning BEFORE you start cutting! Now I see the flaw in my process LOL!

A blackboard in the shop is a great idea.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Nice idea. I currently have four clipboards filled with bank paper floating around my landlord's garage and the car. I've actually got a big whiteboard I need to unpack, but I love being able to carry my plans with me, making everyone think I'm absolutely crazy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.