LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
14,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The new tools are ordered, first step

Well I've been following all of the "plane" talk with great interest. I have never been completely satisfied with the finishes that I obtain on my projects (mostly small projects). I have made up my mind that I should try the Card Scraper and a good Hand Plane. I have a Stanley Block plane, Stanley Low Angle Block and a Stanley #5. Reading the post by MartyS on the Veritas #4 Smoothing Plane and reading the post by Ebanista suggesting a review of the new Veritas Bevel Up Smoother by Derek Cohen I decided to take the plunge. I just ordered the following from Lee Valley:

I also just received a Card Scraper that I had ordered from Rockler - fortunately I already had plenty of sandpaper on hand.

I have a small box, made from Tiger Maple, with a red dyed Lacewood insert in the lid, almost ready for a finish. I still have to install the hinges and make some trays for the interior - so I am hoping to time things out so when the new Plane arrives I can try it on some scrap and then see which works best for that "Perfect Finish". Any thoughts or suggestions will be appreciated.

·
Registered
4,452 Posts

Well I've been following all of the "plane" talk with great interest. I have never been completely satisfied with the finishes that I obtain on my projects (mostly small projects). I have made up my mind that I should try the Card Scraper and a good Hand Plane. I have a Stanley Block plane, Stanley Low Angle Block and a Stanley #5. Reading the post by MartyS on the Veritas #4 Smoothing Plane and reading the post by Ebanista suggesting a review of the new Veritas Bevel Up Smoother by Derek Cohen I decided to take the plunge. I just ordered the following from Lee Valley:

I also just received a Card Scraper that I had ordered from Rockler - fortunately I already had plenty of sandpaper on hand.

I have a small box, made from Tiger Maple, with a red dyed Lacewood insert in the lid, almost ready for a finish. I still have to install the hinges and make some trays for the interior - so I am hoping to time things out so when the new Plane arrives I can try it on some scrap and then see which works best for that "Perfect Finish". Any thoughts or suggestions will be appreciated.
I think you will be well pleased with this set up. Let us know how it works for you.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts

Way to go!

·
Registered
4,119 Posts

Cool. I have asked the wife for a Lee Valley gift certificate for Christmas. I may have to use it for the tons of small things I need, but the BUS is a major want. In fairness I think I'd better learn to use Tom's smoother and the rehab I'm working on, but I'm keen to follow your progress here, Bill.
I wonder if anyone has a recommendation on the advisability of moistening woods with reversing grain before using the plane. In Cohen's monograph (it is a serious piece of documentation, more than just an article) there was still small areas of tear-out in difficult woods. Tiger maple falls into that category.

·
Registered
199 Posts

The anticipation of the tool actually arriving on your doorstep is almost as good as actually getting it! I have bought several new tools recently for my new shop and can hardly wait to try them out. At least, when you have to wait to use a tool, it kinda forces you to read the documentation that came with it. I have never used a good plane, but with all the posts about them recently, I may try them out. Please let us know what you experience when you get yours.

·
Registered
16,431 Posts

I will be following your progress with this closely, Bill. I keep telling myself I should get into planes, but my limited experience with them has left me frustrated, and all the talk of sharpening and tuning to get it just right tends to scare me off. I did just buy a book on tuning and using planes, so there is still hope. I do have a Lee Valley scraper set, and have had some success with that, although I still don't see where it gives me a smoother finish than sanding down to 400 grit. If you get your new tools going and are really happy with the results you are getting, I will definitely want to come over to your shop for a demo.

·
Registered
14,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The BUS has arrived

It took awhile to get here - but the BUS has finally arrived and what a smooth ride!
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
I found a piece of scrap Rosewood that had some burn marks on it and was just really rough. I don't know if this photo will show enough detail.
I made a few passes and the results were incredible - right out of the box, no honing or sharpening - the finish is as smooth as glass. I don't think that it is quite good enough for a finish, but this was only after a couple of light passes. It won't take much more before I could apply a finish and have an incredibly smooth piece.

I am by no means an expert when it comes to hand planes, but if this plane is an example of how a good plane works - I am a believer. I have a few other planes and they all perform pretty well, but the Veratas BUS takes it to a whole new level. Anybody thinking about taking the plunge on this plane - I highly recommend it.

·
Registered
35,383 Posts
The BUS has arrived

It took awhile to get here - but the BUS has finally arrived and what a smooth ride!
I found a piece of scrap Rosewood that had some burn marks on it and was just really rough. I don't know if this photo will show enough detail.
I made a few passes and the results were incredible - right out of the box, no honing or sharpening - the finish is as smooth as glass. I don't think that it is quite good enough for a finish, but this was only after a couple of light passes. It won't take much more before I could apply a finish and have an incredibly smooth piece.

I am by no means an expert when it comes to hand planes, but if this plane is an example of how a good plane works - I am a believer. I have a few other planes and they all perform pretty well, but the Veratas BUS takes it to a whole new level. Anybody thinking about taking the plunge on this plane - I highly recommend it.
Great show Bill. A nice "BUS"

·
Registered
8,861 Posts
The BUS has arrived

It looks pretty impressive.

·
Registered
315 Posts
The BUS has arrived

I love the weight of the lee valley planes. I have a bevel up jointer w/fence that has a home right under my bench

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
The BUS has arrived

Who was it that had the chin rag last over the BUS? Please pass it over. And Bill, thanks for the PM, I was almost as anxious as you for you to lay hands on this beauty. Now, do you have a medium shoulder plane yet? That was my first and only "new out of the box" plane. Really recommended.

·
Registered
14,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The BUS has arrived

Douglas, this is my first new plane. I have a Stanley Block Plane, Stanley Low Angle Block, Stanley #5 and now the BUS. If the BUS is a good representation of how a good plane performs - I can see what all of the fuss is about. I think now I am going to work hard to get my other 3 Stanley planes in top notch shape. I also got the Veritas Mk.II Honing Guide and a set of water stones, so I guess it's just a matter of practicing and getting things sharpened correctly.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
The BUS has arrived

Bill can you shoot with it? I wondered about the coffin shape…

·
Registered
111 Posts
The BUS has arrived

Look at those shavings! to bad we can't eat them!

·
Registered
16,431 Posts
The BUS has arrived

Now if I can just bring myself to spend that much on a toll that doesn't have a motor in it….

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
The BUS has arrived

Yeah Charlie, with the need for a new router coming down the pike, I have to live vicariously through Bill's experiences. I'll keep rehabbing those golden oldies.

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
The BUS has arrived

I've read wonderful things about this plane. I hope that it ends up in my stocking this Christmas. Thanks for the blog!

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
The BUS has arrived

Ahhh, Bill, you're hooked now!! Congrats on the new plane. It sounds like it was worth the wait. It's like I tell my clients; you'll enjoy it a lot longer than you waited on it.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
The BUS has arrived

Again - way to go! i'm as curious as Douglas is about the shooting capability…looks like the nose wraps around and sits a bit proud of the sides…true?

·
Registered
14,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The BUS has arrived

Douglas and Dorje - you are correct, the nose does wrap around and stands just about 1/16 proud of the body. I don't care about that though - I just sharpened it for the first time and I'm going to try it out tomorrow. I have surely been impressed with this plane though, it leaves a glass smooth finish on the wood.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.