LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Does anyone here have any experience with removing split nuts from an old saw? I have a 24" back saw I bought for cutting tenons that I am going to restore and resharpen but I have never tried to remove a split nut from a saw handle before and I don't want to ruin the thing before I get a chance to use it. Anybody have any ideas, I figure that I have enough old screwdrivers I could sacrifice one to the cause and just grind a slot in the center of the blade so as to miss the screw end and still be able to loosen the nut. Again, any ideas?

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
The proper tool is a spanner (wrench), but to find one the right size is a challenge. Most of us do like you described, and make one out of flat stock or an old sacrificial tool.

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
If you don't have a screwdriver wide enough you can make one out of a spade bit too. You want to grind the shape until it fits perfectly.

Another idea I think is from Andy on the saw thread but I'm just trying to remember the best I can. Any mistakes are my own. The idea is to take a piece of scrap wood and drill a hole just a hair larger than the size of the nut and clamp that to the handle around the nut you are removing. That helps reduce the blowout of the wood as the nut comes out. On the other side you may need to clamp a piece of rubber against the smooth side to stabilize it and keep it from spinning.

The basic idea is to ease them out. Unscrew a bit, then back off, then try a little bit more, then back off, etc. They break sometimes even if you're careful, but being careful helps.

Maybe one of the guys with more experience will stop by here too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.