LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
41 - 60 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
21,777 Posts
Marking Tool Swap Fall 2018

Still not focusing on the Tool Cabinet, I joined the LJ Fall Swap. My first one and let me tell you the guys in the swap are expert. Knowing the everyone has most of the standard marking tools I looked around the shop and my eyes landed on a set of pinch sticks.

Wood Table Wood stain Rectangle Plank

Just poplar stained with Dychem (for metalworking) and coated with Wattco. The sliders are just 3/4" square steel tube drilled and tapped. But a great starting point because I figured that most people don't have/use them so it might be a good/useful tool.

My first design change was that I didn't like how the thumb screw dug into the wood. One solution would have been a pad and another would have been an inlay of metal. Following that thought I decided to use an aluminum sandwich. I epoxied Purpleheart and Aluminum together then trimmed/cut them on the table saw.

Bumper Automotive lighting Automotive exterior Motor vehicle Vehicle door

That created a lot of heat which the epoxy didn't like so the laminate failed. I finally figured out that I needed to wait 3 minutes between passes for the Aluminum to cool. I eventually got it right but … it burned the Purpleheart. I put my scraper to work pealing away burn marks, wood, and Aluminum.

Table Crosscut saw Wood Tableware Wood stain

Then sanded with 220, 320, and 600. I have to say the wagon vise was perfect for this kind of work. Add on 4 coats of Wattco, some wax and buffing and the sticks were done.

Wood Wood stain Bumper Automotive exterior Hardwood

Next were the keepers. Square steel tube didn't seem to be keeping with the spirit of the Swap and while not a competition I preferred to give some of my "best work". Again looking around the shop I have a bunch of small scraps that I just can't bear to toss.

Wood Table Automotive design Flooring Engineering

Casting about in the scrap bin netted me Pink Ivory and Gaboon Ebony pieces and I pulled several brass plates that were originally slated for a dovetail plane (maybe later).

Wood Creative arts Flooring Art Hardwood

Some drilling

Automotive tire Milling Wood Machine tool Saw

Then cutting, trimming, filing,

Wood Metalworking hand tool Drill Tool Screwdriver

I decided that I REALLY hate those little brass screws. Ebony and Pink Ivory are really hard and I broke off multiple screws and had to re-fabricate parts several times.

Eventually I got to the sanding up through 3000grit then polishing and buffing,

Wood Hardwood Trophy Varnish Wood stain

And finally assembly - yippee!!

Musical instrument Wood Folk instrument Tool Flute

Wood Musical instrument Wood stain Hardwood Varnish

Overall they turned out pretty well. And thanks to the LJ'ers that encouraged me on my first attempt.
Wow, you SCRAPED the aluminum?! That's some dedication right there!

I can't tell you how much I love these sticks Bill. I must have a pair and I think your method is perfect. The wood lends a light weight, a nice feel and soft but firm tips that won't scar your work while the Aluminum gives strength and rigidity and prevents the set screws from marring the wood.

Really glad you joined the swap and I hope to see you in many future ones. Your well-thought out designs and methodical execution are exactly the kinds of things we try to share out in the swaps with fellow craftsmen. Thanks for adding your knowledge and experience to the pool!

Attachments

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Marking Tool Swap Fall 2018

Still not focusing on the Tool Cabinet, I joined the LJ Fall Swap. My first one and let me tell you the guys in the swap are expert. Knowing the everyone has most of the standard marking tools I looked around the shop and my eyes landed on a set of pinch sticks.

Just poplar stained with Dychem (for metalworking) and coated with Wattco. The sliders are just 3/4" square steel tube drilled and tapped. But a great starting point because I figured that most people don't have/use them so it might be a good/useful tool.

My first design change was that I didn't like how the thumb screw dug into the wood. One solution would have been a pad and another would have been an inlay of metal. Following that thought I decided to use an aluminum sandwich. I epoxied Purpleheart and Aluminum together then trimmed/cut them on the table saw.

That created a lot of heat which the epoxy didn't like so the laminate failed. I finally figured out that I needed to wait 3 minutes between passes for the Aluminum to cool. I eventually got it right but … it burned the Purpleheart. I put my scraper to work pealing away burn marks, wood, and Aluminum.

Then sanded with 220, 320, and 600. I have to say the wagon vise was perfect for this kind of work. Add on 4 coats of Wattco, some wax and buffing and the sticks were done.

Next were the keepers. Square steel tube didn't seem to be keeping with the spirit of the Swap and while not a competition I preferred to give some of my "best work". Again looking around the shop I have a bunch of small scraps that I just can't bear to toss.

Casting about in the scrap bin netted me Pink Ivory and Gaboon Ebony pieces and I pulled several brass plates that were originally slated for a dovetail plane (maybe later).

Some drilling

Then cutting, trimming, filing,

I decided that I REALLY hate those little brass screws. Ebony and Pink Ivory are really hard and I broke off multiple screws and had to re-fabricate parts several times.

Eventually I got to the sanding up through 3000grit then polishing and buffing,

And finally assembly - yippee!!

Overall they turned out pretty well. And thanks to the LJ'ers that encouraged me on my first attempt.
Wow, you SCRAPED the aluminum?! That s some dedication right there!

- HokieKen
Yep I would not have tried it if it wasn't for a friend at work who went to an Iron Scraping class in Ohio a couple of months ago. I figured that if he could scrap Iron ways I could probably scrap Aluminum. It worked great.

Attachments

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
A home for my Stanley 45 Irons

When we last saw our hero… (oops wrong story). Well still no substantive progress on the tool cabinet - waylaid by surgery/recovery and weather. Unheated garage is not conducive to cutting/fitting/gluing/finishing at 10F. I do need to get busy soon 'cuz the house is going up for sale in a couple more weeks and packing has already started. But that is a another story.

I have managed a few smaller projects over the past month or so on warmer days and with the heater going and here is one. I have a Stanley 45 that I have brought back from the edge and it came with most of the cutters.

Long have I wanted to create a "safe space" for the irons. To that end I had acquired some Aspen and it's been sitting around aging.

I got started and completed the project in a day including printing the labels. By the way, I owe quite a bit to the Stanley #45 - 7 forms of fun in 1! Forum, Plane Restorations #1: Stanley No. 45 Boxes Reproduction Graphics Blog, and several other LJ'er that have restored 45s.

Rough box dimensions were determined by laying out the irons with a playing card width between the measuring. And over to the RAS to make the sticks

Fine tuning the dimensions by laying out the irons

Then gluing

I cut the tops from the bottoms and then laid out and cut the "window". A coat of wipe on poly then printed and glued the labels on.

These turned out better than I hope for. They look great and serve to protect the irons well.

I def owe those that preceded me in restoration a debt of gratitude. I would not have executed this project - small as it is - without them.

Attachments

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Split nut screwdriver

Lots of projects as every other LJ'er but this Split nut screwdriver is (in my mind) a good looking success.

Air gun Wood Gun accessory Metal Gun barrel

Like every project I do there is always something else I need before I get started on the main event. The Split nut Screwdrivers started because 1) so many LJ'ers have made so many really cool saws and 2) I have a couple of old back saw plates and 3) I REALLY needed a project for the LJ Spring Swap… :)

Wood Wood stain Gas Hardwood Plywood

Casting about LJ and the net I came up wiith several ideas landing on modifying a spade bit.

Wood Machine Home appliance Metal Flooring

A bit of judicious filing with a Chain saw file created the gap.

Wood Gas Auto part Plywood Bumper

Hand Wood Hand tool Gesture Finger

A bit of grinding and polishing

Wood Circuit component Gas Wood stain Hardwood

and the blade was complete. Then on to the handles. My first try was Amazouke but it had a hidden defect that caused it to fail while turning.

Motor vehicle Wood Gas Auto part Engineering

Failing that I had a piece of "found" cherry from the firewood pile.

Wood Wood stain Bumper Automotive exterior Kitchen utensil

Some cutting, squaring, turning

Wood Gas Machine tool Engineering Machine

A a copper ferrule, a little assembling with epoxy, and some wipe-on poly

Wood Gas Font Tool Temperature

Wood Tool Metalworking hand tool Metal Electric blue

I made the second one in Osage Orange to match the additional accessories for the Swap
Wood Tool Hand tool Metalworking hand tool Metal

It's a great project but I think it might be a bit better if the overall blade length was about 1/2" to 3/4" shorter to put my hand a bit closer to the nut.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,329 Posts
Split nut screwdriver

Lots of projects as every other LJ'er but this Split nut screwdriver is (in my mind) a good looking success.

Like every project I do there is always something else I need before I get started on the main event. The Split nut Screwdrivers started because 1) so many LJ'ers have made so many really cool saws and 2) I have a couple of old back saw plates and 3) I REALLY needed a project for the LJ Spring Swap… :)

Casting about LJ and the net I came up wiith several ideas landing on modifying a spade bit.

and the blade was complete. Then on to the handles. My first try was Amazouke but it had a hidden defect that caused it to fail while turning.

I made the second one in Osage Orange to match the additional accessories for the Swap

It's a great project but I think it might be a bit better if the overall blade length was about 1/2" to 3/4" shorter to put my hand a bit closer to the nut.
It seems to work ok to me. Good thinking using a spade bit!

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Split nut screwdriver

A good tool is half the work,and even if it is done by hand! Thank you for sharing your projects!

Attachments

·
Registered
294 Posts
Split nut screwdriver

That's pretty cool. A great idea and a very nice tool. GREAT Job !

Attachments

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Saw jointer handle

Knocked out a second small project for the Swap to go with the Split Nut Screwdriver, a Saw Jointer Handle.

Wood Ruler Office ruler Wood stain Hardwood

Generally the antique Stanley's are in steel. This one is Osage Orange starting with a 1.5" x 1.5" x 12" chunk I cut squared and scraped a blank.

Wood Tool Gas Metalworking hand tool Hardwood

Wood Wood stain Rectangle Door Plank

Then it was a matter of cutting a relief file and clearence for the saw. Then I installed a brass insert (I'd go steel next time).

Wood Tableware Wood stain Flooring Serveware

Some sanding and some poly

Hand tool Wood Tool Hardwood Office ruler

A small brass thumb screw secures the file in place during use.

Wood Stonemason's hammer Wood stain Hardwood Plank

Looking back on it I think it would benefit aesthetically from some shaping. Another LJ'er boat tailed a plane in the manner of a 1935 Auburn (https://www.lumberjocks.com/projects/408989) It's pretty cool so maybe at some point I'll work at reshaping it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,329 Posts
Saw jointer handle

Knocked out a second small project for the Swap to go with the Split Nut Screwdriver, a Saw Jointer Handle.

Generally the antique Stanley's are in steel. This one is Osage Orange starting with a 1.5" x 1.5" x 12" chunk I cut squared and scraped a blank.

Then it was a matter of cutting a relief file and clearence for the saw. Then I installed a brass insert (I'd go steel next time).

Looking back on it I think it would benefit aesthetically from some shaping. Another LJ'er boat tailed a plane in the manner of a 1935 Auburn (https://www.lumberjocks.com/projects/408989) It's pretty cool so maybe at some point I'll work at reshaping it.
Hey, I know the guy who did that! Turned out ok, I hear. I would suggest sacrificing a tubafor or two to make test shapes. When I realized I'd cut my prototype plane too short, the pressure was really on for shaping the real one. No mistakes!

Thanks for the file holder. I think the brass is fine, but steel might look nice against the Osage orange.

Attachments

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Saw jointer handle

Wood Ruler Office ruler Wood stain Hardwood

Wood Tool Gas Metalworking hand tool Hardwood

Wood Wood stain Rectangle Door Plank

Wood Tableware Wood stain Flooring Serveware

Hand tool Wood Tool Hardwood Office ruler

Wood Stonemason's hammer Wood stain Hardwood Plank

Yeah, I jumped into it all. I think I'll make a few pine test pieces to shape and see what they look like.

Attachments

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Stanley #45 Chest

Like many LJ'ers I've felt the tug of vintage hand tools. I discovered and acquired a Stanley #45 almost complete for a very reasonable price and got it mostly cleaned and sharpened and it's been laid out on a side bench. Finally found time to make a chest.

Table Wood Rectangle Hardwood Wood stain

I wanted to make a chest similar to the original ones with finger joints. So to get started I made a simple box joint jig.

Rectangle Wood Flooring Floor Wood stain

Then I thicknessed Red Oak stock to 1/2" for the sides/ends/top and I also thicknessed a piece of pine to 1/4" for the bottom. Dimensions were set by the #45 with short rods installed and the two Iron boxes I made several months ago. The result is exterior dimensions of: 12-3/4" (L) x 7-3/4" (W) x 7-1/4" (H).

Then some cutting and making finger joints. There were a couple of minor blowouts, most of which ended up inside

Wood Grey Rectangle Flooring Gas

Wood Wood stain Flooring Hardwood Plank

No, I did not hand cut the groove for the bottom using the #45. The dado blade was in so I spent 45 seconds and zipped the parts through. And then assembly. The joints turned out nice and tight.

Brown Wood Rectangle Flooring Wood stain

The top is a slab of 1/2" Oak. It was actually pieced together and as one piece of Oak was slightly short so a bit of Maple filled the gap

The interior is nothing more than a several 5/16" battens that keep the #45 and boxes in place.

Wood Wood stain Hardwood Plank Plywood

Product Wood Rectangle Floor Varnish

Wood Table Flooring Rectangle Floor

Wood Hardwood Metal Machine Auto part

Wood Floor Flooring Wall Hardwood

The finish off is a swing latch from Woodcraft.

Door Household hardware Wood Nickel Bicycle part

It's finished with a single coat of satin poly and Johnson's Paste Wax. I still need to install a holder/retainer for the long rods - but those were boxed and in storage for a while. I'm pretty pleased with the result and my #45 is happy ;-)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Stanley #45 Chest

Like many LJ'ers I've felt the tug of vintage hand tools. I discovered and acquired a Stanley #45 almost complete for a very reasonable price and got it mostly cleaned and sharpened and it's been laid out on a side bench. Finally found time to make a chest.

I wanted to make a chest similar to the original ones with finger joints. So to get started I made a simple box joint jig.

Then I thicknessed Red Oak stock to 1/2" for the sides/ends/top and I also thicknessed a piece of pine to 1/4" for the bottom. Dimensions were set by the #45 with short rods installed and the two Iron boxes I made several months ago. The result is exterior dimensions of: 12-3/4" (L) x 7-3/4" (W) x 7-1/4" (H).

Then some cutting and making finger joints. There were a couple of minor blowouts, most of which ended up inside

No, I did not hand cut the groove for the bottom using the #45. The dado blade was in so I spent 45 seconds and zipped the parts through. And then assembly. The joints turned out nice and tight.

The top is a slab of 1/2" Oak. It was actually pieced together and as one piece of Oak was slightly short so a bit of Maple filled the gap

The interior is nothing more than a several 5/16" battens that keep the #45 and boxes in place.

It's finished with a single coat of satin poly and Johnson's Paste Wax. I still need to install a holder/retainer for the long rods - but those were boxed and in storage for a while. I'm pretty pleased with the result and my #45 is happy ;-)
I like projects like this. Well done.

Attachments

·
Registered
21,777 Posts
Stanley #45 Chest

Start over! ;-)

Attachments

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Stanley #45 Chest

ROFL… I know…

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,329 Posts
Stanley #45 Chest

Dang, Kenny beat me to it.

I've really come to like the sliding lid box that my Veritas combo plane came in. I notice we didn't cover the box when we did the write up, so one of us has some more work to do. Mos?

Attachments

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Stanley #45 Chest

Dang, Kenny beat me to it.

I notice we didn't cover the box when we did the write up, so one of us has some more work to do. Mos?

- Dave Polaschek
Yeah, Yeah!! if you guys would have done that write-up then I might have tended toward… ;-)

Attachments

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Jennings Style Auger Bit Box

The lure of vintage hand tools is like no other. Mostly be because they are small, storeable, transportable, are still useful and functional and as well as affordable. I've had a fist full of Irwin and Russell Jennings bits homeless stacked in a drawer. With the new Box Joint Jig and the fact that I was already setting up for the #45 chest I decided that I wanted a Russell Jennings style chest to secure them.

Rectangle Wood Wood stain Flooring Hardwood

Thanks to several of the LJ'ers on the Vintage Drills of Your Dreams thread I got the general dimensions. These translated into: 10-1/2" (L) x 4-1/2" (H) x 3-1/2" (D)

Wood Flooring Floor Hardwood Wood stain

Wood Rectangle Flooring Wood stain Hardwood

Once the box was assembled I separated int into the three sections I installed 1/4" bottoms. The rest was just hinges and latches.

Wood Rectangle Hardwood Wood stain Plank

I looked for vintage/replica hinges and latches but none to be found. I had to kluge a couple kinds and offset to get them to work. So not as slick as the original. If I find new hinges I'll replace them.

Wood Table Rectangle Wooden block Wood stain

The top is a 1/2" slab pf Red Oak

Wood Rectangle Hardwood Wood stain Flooring

THe dividers are not yet installed - I have a lot of duplicate bits especially #5s and #7s. I still need 4,6, and 11 to complete the set. Once I have those I'll fit dividers.

Wood Rectangle Wood stain Hardwood Flooring

The two hole are just because it was a piece of scrap pine

Wood Tool Gas Wood stain Musical instrument

The latches are from Woodcraft

Musical instrument Wood Office equipment Metal Hardwood

Wood Musical instrument Jewellery Rim Auto part

Over alll this turned out pretty good - only changes I would make is to add 1/4" to the height and length, and 3/4" to the depth. It's a bit tight on the top tier for the dividers.

Wood Wood stain Plank Hardwood Flooring

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,329 Posts

The lure of vintage hand tools is like no other. Mostly be because they are small, storeable, transportable, are still useful and functional and as well as affordable. I've had a fist full of Irwin and Russell Jennings bits homeless stacked in a drawer. With the new Box Joint Jig and the fact that I was already setting up for the #45 chest I decided that I wanted a Russell Jennings style chest to secure them.

Thanks to several of the LJ'ers on the Vintage Drills of Your Dreams thread I got the general dimensions. These translated into: 10-1/2" (L) x 4-1/2" (H) x 3-1/2" (D)

Once the box was assembled I separated int into the three sections I installed 1/4" bottoms. The rest was just hinges and latches.

I looked for vintage/replica hinges and latches but none to be found. I had to kluge a couple kinds and offset to get them to work. So not as slick as the original. If I find new hinges I'll replace them.

THe dividers are not yet installed - I have a lot of duplicate bits especially #5s and #7s. I still need 4,6, and 11 to complete the set. Once I have those I'll fit dividers.

Over alll this turned out pretty good - only changes I would make is to add 1/4" to the height and length, and 3/4" to the depth. It's a bit tight on the top tier for the dividers.

Nice, Bill.

I have a lot of duplicate bits especially #5s and #7s. I still need 4,6, and 11 to complete the set. Once I have those I'll fit dividers.
I'll check through my bits in the morning. I may have a spare or two that'll help you fill things in. We'll see.

Attachments

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·

Great let me know - I think my 5s and 7s mated…

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,329 Posts

Oops. Forgot to check. I'll try again tomorrow. I'm pretty sure I've got a couple spares. If you want to PM me your address, that might remind me to find them. :-/

Attachments

41 - 60 of 108 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.