LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I made a cutting board from oak many years ago, we used it daily until we remodeled the kitchen. And here I lived to tell about it. Maybe not the best wood for a cutting board, but I wouldn't be afraid of it

·
Registered
385 Posts
Red oak is porous, white oak is not. Try this experiment-1) rub dish soap on the end grain of a piece of red oak, 2) blow through the other end of the piece-bubbles will form on the soapy end because the red oak fibers are arrange like a bunch of long straws bundled together.
White oak fibers are much more tangled/dense, so the soap bubble test won't work-ie. the grain is tighter.
Overall, science studies have shown that most hardwoods (including oak) are more anti-bacterial than any manmade material (ie. hard plastic cutting boards)

·
Registered
848 Posts
Yeah, Socal and Gerrym are right. White oaks have tylosis in the grain which makes it a closed grain. Tyloses give the wood a closed cellular structure, which does not allow water to pass. While the pores are big, the grain is closed. I use beeswax mixed with mineral oil to seal the pores.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.