Nova - DVR Galaxi 1644 (Rating: 5)

In my first review of this new lathe, I brought up 3 things that I felt needed improvement. One was the tailstock quill thread that was reversed, the second was the indexing was hard to read and the third was the on/off switches being flat and in different locations. Well two out of three are fixed and the third I'll have to live with ( maybe).

The new quill and screw were installed in the tailstock but I had to relocate the key pin to the bottom so I could read the graduations that are on the new quill.

I did not want to do indexing using a flashlight to see the index location so I built a new index wheel that you can easily read from the front and it has locations at every 5 degrees.

I still cannot change the on/off switch so I find myself hitting on for off and off for on. That switch needs to be in one location. I think I have found the contacts for the touch switches and need to do some testing before mounting a single switch out front to do both. That will probably void my warranty.

I also did an enhancement to the lathe for using collets from my metal lathe in it. I have a set of Southbend collets from 1/8" to 1/2". They are used in the spindle with a drawbar through the center of the spindle. I built a collet holder with a 1 1/4" -8 thread from a nut I bought on line and some steel parts I had to turn on the Southbend lathe. This was fun because the thread on the collets is a .642" x26. That thread does not exist in any books but I can cut 26 thread per inch on the Southbend so it was not a problem.
The collet screws into the threaded sleeve on the end of the drawbar and then is pulled tight with a handwheel on the back of the lathe.

I made a little video showing the index wheel and the collets in use. there is a dead spot n the video where the index pin unthreaded a bit and would not retract far enough. I put Locktite on it and that won't ever happen again.

I was able to make this collet holder because I had previously made some threaded concentric mock spindles which I can turn any attachment for a 1"-8 or 1 1/4"-8 thread and they will be right on center because the threads were cut right on the metal lathe.

Household hardware Gas Cylinder Auto part Nut

Automotive tire Bumper Machine tool Automotive exterior Gas

Milling Wood Machine tool Gas Auto part

I put gun bluing on all the collet holder parts.

Cheers, Jim