LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hit a road block

Well today I was setting up my new router table - which was given to me in pieces (minus instruction manual), well new is a relative term, as I have owned it for months but had too many other things on my 'to do' list.

I was about to start making a set of cupboard doors for my Mum's Birthday on the 20th.

I was not feeling 100% but certainly well enough for some workshop therapy.

I unpacked my new router and attached it to the router table. Next I inserted my new Door making set router bit. Did a test run and aside from some fine tuning it was running sweet.

I sorted out the wood I was going to use, configured the thicknesser and WHAM it hit me. 'IT' being a virus of some sort. Balance went AWOL and my distance focus is shot to pieces so I am now laid up in bed with a temp and a desire to curl up and die (not literally!).

Not to sure how I am going to make 15 small doors and two pantry doors.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Hit a road block

Well today I was setting up my new router table - which was given to me in pieces (minus instruction manual), well new is a relative term, as I have owned it for months but had too many other things on my 'to do' list.

I was about to start making a set of cupboard doors for my Mum's Birthday on the 20th.

I unpacked my new router and attached it to the router table. Next I inserted my new Door making set router bit. Did a test run and aside from some fine tuning it was running sweet.

I sorted out the wood I was going to use, configured the thicknesser and WHAM it hit me. 'IT' being a virus of some sort. Balance went AWOL and my distance focus is shot to pieces so I am now laid up in bed with a temp and a desire to curl up and die (not literally!).

I'm beginning to think that this is just a bad weekend to deal with routers. I had an issue with my new router (should be an easy fix though) and you got sick while working with yours. I'm wondering if there's a router curse in effect this weekend ;)

Hope the virus passes very quickly!

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Hit a road block

Even if you were at 100 percent 17 doors in 7 days is a whole lot of work! Hope you get well soon.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Hit a road block

Hi Belinda - Can you provide a drawing or picture of what your trying to build? Maybe we can help you out of a fast method. I hope you feel better soon, sorry to hear your sick.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hit a road block

Hi Dan,

Just got back from the hospital - looks like I am going to have to settle with making one and sticking an IOU on the front.

I have a jig in mind that I will make after the first door. Nothing like a job to help the process along.

Hugs
Belinda

·
Registered
8,904 Posts
Hit a road block

Yep, you've got some work ahead of you.

Get Well Soon!

·
Registered
377 Posts
Hit a road block

Wow, I feel for you. Best wishes for a speedy recovery. Christmas time is no time for sickness.

·
Registered
18,890 Posts
Hit a road block

hope you're feeling better!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Better now and some good came of it

Wednesday afternoon and I am having a lay down on the bed. It has been a very productive couple of days.

Yesterday I drove to the local hardware mega mart store called Bunnings. I purchased some small MDF (about 2' x 4') to make an alternative present for my Mum. I was still feeling a bit seedy so decided to forgo making Kitchen Cupboard doors for Mum's birthday.

Mum is on the pension and to supplement her income she goes to garage (yard) sales and buys up Lego bricks and makes up toys to sell on eBay. The consequence of this is there are boxes and boxes of different Lego bricks all over the house.

So whilst I was laying in bed fretting about what to make mum it struck me that a mobile chest of drawers with lots of compartments to store them in. It did not have to be flash as it was not a 'show' piece so I could make it out of MDF.

Anyhow I have made the carcus and the shelves and glued and screwed it all together. Tomorrow is drawer making day which again should be easy.

It is 4' tall x 2' wide x 2' deep. Has (or will have) five smaller drawers but very long with compartmental dividers and 4 large drawers that are quite deep, two shelves for storing instructions.

I am not going to have time to paint it so that can be documented as a 'feature' (my IT background showing through).

I wish I could find my camera box so I could charge my camera and take pictures. Also need to show off my new workshop.

Things I learn't:

1 - Never trust the hardware store (even pre-cut MDF) to have uniform sizes - I knew this but forgot - blame it on my illness.
2 - I really need to finish building my main workbench.
3 - Kids can be a great help - BUT tend to ask questions when you are working out in your mind measurements.
4 - When you have a charger for a device - make sure it is labeled and in a safe place.
5 - Shopsmith's have a wicked kickback.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts

Wednesday afternoon and I am having a lay down on the bed. It has been a very productive couple of days.

Yesterday I drove to the local hardware mega mart store called Bunnings. I purchased some small MDF (about 2' x 4') to make an alternative present for my Mum. I was still feeling a bit seedy so decided to forgo making Kitchen Cupboard doors for Mum's birthday.

Mum is on the pension and to supplement her income she goes to garage (yard) sales and buys up Lego bricks and makes up toys to sell on eBay. The consequence of this is there are boxes and boxes of different Lego bricks all over the house.

So whilst I was laying in bed fretting about what to make mum it struck me that a mobile chest of drawers with lots of compartments to store them in. It did not have to be flash as it was not a 'show' piece so I could make it out of MDF.

Anyhow I have made the carcus and the shelves and glued and screwed it all together. Tomorrow is drawer making day which again should be easy.

It is 4' tall x 2' wide x 2' deep. Has (or will have) five smaller drawers but very long with compartmental dividers and 4 large drawers that are quite deep, two shelves for storing instructions.

I am not going to have time to paint it so that can be documented as a 'feature' (my IT background showing through).

I wish I could find my camera box so I could charge my camera and take pictures. Also need to show off my new workshop.

Things I learn't:

1 - Never trust the hardware store (even pre-cut MDF) to have uniform sizes - I knew this but forgot - blame it on my illness.
3 - Kids can be a great help - BUT tend to ask questions when you are working out in your mind measurements.
4 - When you have a charger for a device - make sure it is labeled and in a safe place.
Hello Belinda - I hope you find your charger soon, so we can see pictures. Sounds like it will be a great present for your mom. I've never used a shopsmith saw, so I don't know about their bad habits, be careful please. I should be posting a piece here soon, a black version of that last mirror I put up. These were pieces I had in storage.
talk with you soon. - Dan

·
Registered
866 Posts

Things I learn't:

Your mom should be really pleased with this thoughtful gift.It's always nice to have your craft supplies in one place.

·
Registered
13,709 Posts

Things I learn't:

Wish you were feeling better! Try not to over do it and take it slow and easy!

Your mom is sure lucky to have a daughter like you. Can't wait to see the chest of drawers!

·
Registered
2,685 Posts

Things I learn't:

Shopsmith's have a wicked kickback

Hopefully you are all right??!?

·
Registered
11,304 Posts

Things I learn't:

Here's wishing you a speedy recovery. Remember rule number one: Work safe!

·
Registered
778 Posts

Things I learn't:

Be safe! In the past when I didn't complete a gift project I presented it to the receiver as their oppurtunity to offer input for the design. Of course then I went and made it the way was going to in the first place!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.