LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
403 Posts
One of my girlfriends got me a LOWES Porter Cable floor drill press which I have had my doubts about, BUT its turned out to be quite the nice drill press.

Computer monitor accessory Machine Camera accessory Output device Camera

BUT I am not sure if the rotation of the quill and chuck is TRUE?

I have had mandrill bits in it and some seem to not spin true.. Seems to wobble just the finest bit.

BUT this may be from using old bent bits.

How can I do an honest test to check this out

Attachments

·
Registered
19,961 Posts
You need to determine the runout.
With a setup like this….

You want to check with a known straight rod (or bit), as close (high) to the chuck as possible.
You also want to check the chuck itself and the quil/spindle.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Its proper name is "Bob". ;). It is a dial indicator magnetic base. Harbor Fright sells one. Starrett sells one for an astronomical price. I'm thinking of getting one. Make sure your chuck spindle is firmly seated in the Morse taper. I give mine a good whack with a mallet on a scrap of wood once in a long while if it starts misbehaving.

·
Registered
19,961 Posts
I got my magnetic base from Harbor Freight….
(BTW: That is an image I found online.)

You could do a shop made hold down of some sort….
Just a lot easier setup with the magnetic base.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I bought my dial indicator + base off of ebay. If I recall it was something like $30 shipped on the slow boat from China. Works great though. When I check the runout on mine (really only checked it once and have just been fat dumb and happy since then), I checked against a punch transfer tool in the chuck. IIRC, I had +/- 3 thou or so. Some of the cheap-o brad point drill bits I've got are way sloppier than that so I'm very happy with that number.

But enough about your drill press. Let's talk about your multiple girlfriends… do they all get you tools? If so, I think I'm living my life wrong :)

·
Banned
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I bought my dial indicator + base off of ebay. If I recall it was something like $30 shipped on the slow boat from China. Works great though. When I check the runout on mine (really only checked it once and have just been fat dumb and happy since then), I checked against a punch transfer tool in the chuck. IIRC, I had +/- 3 thou or so. Some of the cheap-o brad point drill bits I ve got are way sloppier than that so I m very happy with that number.

But enough about your drill press. Let s talk about your multiple girlfriends… do they all get you tools? If so, I think I m living my life wrong :)

No only my primary GF gets me tools. The secondary and throe string don't get me anything. WELL Maybe they DO get me a few things.. Wink wink!

Hard part is Scheduling.

- gtbuzz

·
Registered
268 Posts
Central also makes a good dial indicator that is more reasonably priced. I have a Central that I have used for years and it works very well and was accurate enough for me to use it to build engines and all kinds of other stuff for years. I use a transfer punch or you can use a router centering pin, they are very straight and will give you a clear indication as to whether or not it is the bit or the drill press. For me .002-.005 (+ -) is plenty good your not using it as a milling machine it's just a drill press.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.