LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My recently acquired North Brothers Yankee 1003 hand cranked drill press was missing a machine screw that holds a cap washer onto the top of the drill spindle- and also pulls together the spindle and the ratcheting mechanism that makes this a unique tool.
While waiting for the trusted seller to check the area in his vendor space to see if he could find the missing fastener I thought maybe I could find a replacement at one of the local hardware stores. However I was worried that the fasteners from the 1914 era tool may not have standard pitch threading.
Today I took the whole 6 or 7 pound cast iron frame drill press to the hardware store and found a drawer labeled "antique finish machine screws" .
It turned out the first one I tried was clearly the correct diameter and pitch, just 1/8 inch too long.
I haven't trimmed it to length yet but now I know that at least some of the fasteners are standard types-
I thought I should write this in case someone else has has one of these, or the 1005 larger model, that might need a bolt or screw to set it right.
I hope this will be helpful to someone!

·
Registered
5,533 Posts
Drill press?

·
Registered
13,227 Posts
Drill press?
PK, the Yankee 1003 and 1005 are the best bench top hand cranked DP’s as far as I’m concerned. DonW had a 1005 for sale recently but the shipping to my home would have more then doubled the price. If you find either model in decent shape and good price grab it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts