LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Starting on the Cabinet

I am very excited about this project as it is the last major one before I consider the build out of the shop complete.

I have a big honkin Hitachi M12V, a Router Raizer/Xtreme Xtension kit, and an Original INCRA Jig ready once this rig is built.

·
Registered
27,252 Posts
Starting on the Cabinet

I am very excited about this project as it is the last major one before I consider the build out of the shop complete.

I have a big honkin Hitachi M12V, a Router Raizer/Xtreme Xtension kit, and an Original INCRA Jig ready once this rig is built.
This is looking pretty go so far. I have one of these on my to do list as well. Adding the Incra jig to this table is going to give you a pretty nice set-up.

Looking forward to seeing your progress on this.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Starting on the Cabinet

I've had the plans to do one of these for maybe a decade, and have never started it. I don't know why, except it always induced me to start changing how I pronounce things; e.g. "Routah." It's looking real fine - can't wait to see it finished!

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
Starting on the Cabinet

Hi sIKE;

This is looking good!

Last major build out in the shop? Doesn't that scare and depress you?

I hated it when my shop was ready for real work!

Lee

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Starting on the Cabinet

Lee,

This is more of a hobby right now, and I have been working on the build out since March of last year, I am very happy to be closing in on completion as I am many "woodworking" project waiting in the wings. I will be happy to be working on wood instead of my shop….

·
Registered
570 Posts
Starting on the Cabinet

sIKE,

How big is the table top going to be? I'm in the process of designing a router table and I'm also going to mount an incra fence. I'm doing an offset mount instead of a center mount like your table. The incra fence calls for something like 19+ inches offset from the router hole. How much offset are you planning on?

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Starting on the Cabinet

coloradoclimber

I am planning on moving the router a bit more forward than norm calls for and I am considering adding a piano hinge across the back to add a flip up extension to get me the required additional space behind the router. I am going to take norms plans for the top, draw them up in Sketchup and then see from there, I just might end up with a small bump around the back of the table to accommodate the jig, I am not using the big daddy that you have, just the little "Original Incra Jig" but I will blog this as a part of this project.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
"My" Cabinet is done

This weekend I got the cabinet assembly completed (basically).

Still have the drawer construction and that install, dust collection, electrical, Router Raizer mods, the top, and its fence(s) to build out.

·
Registered
8,142 Posts
"My" Cabinet is done

Still have the drawer construction and that install, dust collection, electrical, Router Raizer mods, the top, and its fence(s) to build out.
Looking good. I'm anxious to see the finished project. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
209 Posts
"My" Cabinet is done

Looking good. I'm just finishing up my version. I'll be sure to post mine when it's done. Here's a question: why is a plexiglass door used the majority of the time on these? So we can see if chips are building up or so we can see our fancy routers? I think I'm going with a wood door.

·
Registered
702 Posts
"My" Cabinet is done

I agree with the wood door, looks better. I am going to modify drawers just slightly to hold the case that can hold the case my set came in. Another modification I am going to do is add a sloped bottom to the front side too. So that is funnels the dust for sure to the front of the dust port. Maybe not as steep as the back one, but as steep as it can be and still get the router in and out when needed.

·
Registered
470 Posts
"My" Cabinet is done

I wish we had another weekend right now so we could see more progress! Not that I'm impatient or anything…

·
Registered
702 Posts
"My" Cabinet is done

another modification I am going to do is flush mount the switch basically like norm did in his first table. The switch will mount into a standard single gang remodel electric box, and just use some extension cord wire with a plug wired on one end and a short pigtail with a plug for the router. Just looks a little more finished rather than a big box switch hanging the side.
Grizzly sells the switch for about $10. The all in one unit used on the version 2 is about $20-30. Easier to wire, yes, cheaper, no. YOu could go really cheap and just use a standard light switch. That looks a little rednecked though.

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
"My" Cabinet is done

Hi sIKE;

We know Norm's is done!

How you making out with yours? lol

Lee

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
"My" Cabinet is done

Well, I must of not submitted what I wrote last night.

Lee,
Funny, correct me if I am wrong but he has made two of them…. now back to our normal programing.

TonyZ,
I am guessing so you can look at sawdust build up in the cavity.

Tooldad,
I have ordered this switch from Grizzly, I think it is the one you are referring too. I am going to mount it to the front of the cabinet. I was thinking of this one (thanks Phred) but decided against it as it was a bit big. I do like the idea of a sloped bottom to the front side also. I will wait till after the Router is i mounted in the cabinet before deciding if and where it is possible.

Thanks for all of the comments!

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The Electrical Work

Got back in the shop this afternoon and after two trips to the orange box I got all of the electrical work done. I am very happy with how it turned out. This is a custom piece much different from Norm's plan. The switch is from Grizzly, I have the 12/2 wire on hand, the rest is from the orange box. Total outlay about $38. The switch works great even though it is mounted sideways.

Here is a view of the internals.

Below the switch you can see I finally got the 17/32nd drill bit in and started on the four 1/2" bit trays. I hope to have those completed tomorrow.

Update: The work done here provides 20 AMP service to the cabinet. Which is why the cost was what it was. The plug and 12/2 cord were pricey.

·
Registered
702 Posts
The Electrical Work

Got back in the shop this afternoon and after two trips to the orange box I got all of the electrical work done. I am very happy with how it turned out. This is a custom piece much different from Norm's plan. The switch is from Grizzly, I have the 12/2 wire on hand, the rest is from the orange box. Total outlay about $38. The switch works great even though it is mounted sideways.

Below the switch you can see I finally got the 17/32nd drill bit in and started on the four 1/2" bit trays. I hope to have those completed tomorrow.

Update: The work done here provides 20 AMP service to the cabinet. Which is why the cost was what it was. The plug and 12/2 cord were pricey.
I always said that is the change I would make too. That all in one switch box that Norm uses is $30-40 depending on which site you get it from, then you have shipping. I just bought that grizzly switch for a jointer in my shop that had a light switch. Cost me $12. Enjoy the table

·
Registered
27,252 Posts
The Electrical Work

This is a nice addition to your router table and it is one that is a major improvement in the overall safe operation of the tool. This is something that I am looking into doing. On one of my router tables I have to blindly reach under the table to find the router's switch to start it and shut it down. This is simply an accident waiting to happen.

Thanks for the inspiration.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The Electrical Work

Thanks Scott! I am hoping this is a great safety improvement on the table with easier access than Norms plan.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.