LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New toys

The thumb is healing nicely; still encased in protective armor but I have a doc appt on Monday so that should get removed then.

The great thing about all this is the loml decided that we should go on a safely shtick in the workshop (I even tried talking her out of it in the name of fiscal prudence and the recession - no dice) - so now I also have a dust collector and a SawStop PCS on the way - looking forward to that. No projects or any fun activities to write about though since I sold the other tablesaw (ended up getting only ~50c on the dollar for a 2 yr old saw kind of sucks but hey it is sold and now a replacement can fit) and every time I want to start something I realize I need to rip wood that won't fit in the bandsaw. My weekend project is to setup some interim dust collection using whatever I can find at home depot - don't want to spend a bunch of money on blast gates et al until after I figure out what is working for me with the new setup.

Also general organizing and cleanup of the shop, maintenance of tools and similar boring tasks but I always seem to enjoy my woodworking time more when the shop is orderly so this will be good.

Hmm… ETA next monday for the vegetarian saw. Got the 220V line installed - all is in readiness… I hate waiting.

·
Registered
27,252 Posts
New toys

The thumb is healing nicely; still encased in protective armor but I have a doc appt on Monday so that should get removed then.

The great thing about all this is the loml decided that we should go on a safely shtick in the workshop (I even tried talking her out of it in the name of fiscal prudence and the recession - no dice) - so now I also have a dust collector and a SawStop PCS on the way - looking forward to that. No projects or any fun activities to write about though since I sold the other tablesaw (ended up getting only ~50c on the dollar for a 2 yr old saw kind of sucks but hey it is sold and now a replacement can fit) and every time I want to start something I realize I need to rip wood that won't fit in the bandsaw. My weekend project is to setup some interim dust collection using whatever I can find at home depot - don't want to spend a bunch of money on blast gates et al until after I figure out what is working for me with the new setup.

Also general organizing and cleanup of the shop, maintenance of tools and similar boring tasks but I always seem to enjoy my woodworking time more when the shop is orderly so this will be good.

Hmm… ETA next monday for the vegetarian saw. Got the 220V line installed - all is in readiness… I hate waiting.
I don't blame you for being excited. Getting a new tool is always a fun time. You will have fun with your new saw. Be sure and post some pictures of it when you get it in the shop.

·
Registered
197 Posts
New toys

"Vegetarian saw." I like that.

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
New toys

Hard way to get such a nice table saw, but … I'm glad you're getting it, and look forward to your comments.

As a motorcyclist, I lost track-long ago-of the number of cautionary tales I've heard. The take-away is clear: don't blink. Never believe that you're the master of the bike and of all the external elements.

I know the same is true in this hobby. A moment's inattention, carelessness, or distraction … can change your life forever.

I hope your dexterity returns, and that your return to your craft is satisfying and productive!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
New toys

Thank you for your kind thoughts; I got really lucky and expect pretty much full recovery. Slightly shorter thumb but oh well - no wasted time trimming fingernails!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The vegan is here!

Got the new SawStop PCS today (arrived Friday but the local Woodcraft could only deliver today). Got the saw mostly setup; need to do adjustments and checking tomorrow (fence mostly - the rest I expect to be as good as I can tell without specialized testing equipment… but I'll check anyway). I have not turned it on yet until after that's done.

Some first quick impressions compared to my old Steel City:

The saw was the expected pleasure to put together - other reviews are right - the only part that was a bit annoying was putting on the mobile base. I would say this met my expectations - why other manufacturers cannot get this part right is beyond me and I think it is a sorry state of affairs that 'user friendly setup with no bugs or problems' is a revolution in manufacturing. This is not computer software or something with millions of functions to test and I sure expect a new car to work right away with no adjustments needed.

The fence seems better than I was expecting; I had a Steel City 'industrial fence' that I loved; this one actually seems to glide more smoothly though I'm still not sure how a feel about plywood for the face - I liked that slick plastic stuff but I'm sure it will grow on me. Seems flat so it should be fine. The SC also rode on the rear bar rather than on the table surface which seems better to me - not sure what wear and tear will be on the fence coming onto the saw from the extension table - that 1000th of an inch has to take off shavings each time :). Also won't it jar going over the mitre slots?

The saw is about 1/2" lower than the old SC - this is a pain since my outfeed table is now too high. I'm planning to shim the saw rather than go through the pain of lowering the table. Off to borg tomorrow for a bit of plywood to stick under it.

The mitre gauge is also better than I was expecting; certainly seems better than the SC one; much smoother operation adjusting angles. I don't use them much though so I'm likely not the best reviewer for those (I have a chopsaw).

Review and pics later after I've actually used the thing; I still have a cutting board to finish so I have a bunch of cuts through laminated 8/4 maple/purpleheart lined up waiting for a saw.

·
Registered
27,252 Posts
The vegan is here!

Got the new SawStop PCS today (arrived Friday but the local Woodcraft could only deliver today). Got the saw mostly setup; need to do adjustments and checking tomorrow (fence mostly - the rest I expect to be as good as I can tell without specialized testing equipment… but I'll check anyway). I have not turned it on yet until after that's done.

Some first quick impressions compared to my old Steel City:

The saw was the expected pleasure to put together - other reviews are right - the only part that was a bit annoying was putting on the mobile base. I would say this met my expectations - why other manufacturers cannot get this part right is beyond me and I think it is a sorry state of affairs that 'user friendly setup with no bugs or problems' is a revolution in manufacturing. This is not computer software or something with millions of functions to test and I sure expect a new car to work right away with no adjustments needed.

The fence seems better than I was expecting; I had a Steel City 'industrial fence' that I loved; this one actually seems to glide more smoothly though I'm still not sure how a feel about plywood for the face - I liked that slick plastic stuff but I'm sure it will grow on me. Seems flat so it should be fine. The SC also rode on the rear bar rather than on the table surface which seems better to me - not sure what wear and tear will be on the fence coming onto the saw from the extension table - that 1000th of an inch has to take off shavings each time :). Also won't it jar going over the mitre slots?

The saw is about 1/2" lower than the old SC - this is a pain since my outfeed table is now too high. I'm planning to shim the saw rather than go through the pain of lowering the table. Off to borg tomorrow for a bit of plywood to stick under it.

The mitre gauge is also better than I was expecting; certainly seems better than the SC one; much smoother operation adjusting angles. I don't use them much though so I'm likely not the best reviewer for those (I have a chopsaw).

Review and pics later after I've actually used the thing; I still have a cutting board to finish so I have a bunch of cuts through laminated 8/4 maple/purpleheart lined up waiting for a saw.
Webb, it sounds like you are having fun. It is always exciting when we get a new tool in the shop but a new table saw really gets the adrenaline pumping. I am looking forward to seeing your review of the saw.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Planes - maybe it wasn't me

I am going to make a couple of Morris chairs over the next year; as prep, I purchased a Lie-Nielson medium shoulder plane.

Wow - that thing works! So I went back and picked up the low-angle block plane as well. that also works. I have come to the conclusion that if you are beginner at hand tools, you have to buy really good ones - or at least use some - to even know what is possible. If you are a pro, you can probably save a bunch by doing other things, but for a beginner, it is kind of like diving in the deep end where the sharks are. Suddenly, I understand the comments about using a plane to get rid of machine marks - previously if I used a plane I would need to do the other way around :-(

I had a small 'Bailey' block plane, but after several afternoons spent lapping the bottom is still not flat, nor is the blade. The blade is also about 1/2 the thickness of the LN blade and I have a really hard time getting the blade in that one or in the other Stanley (also from home depot) to stay put while I plane.

If you are a beginner at hand planes, I recommend splurging - my eyes are opened to a whole new world.

I'm off to the workshop to go make more shavings.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts

I am going to make a couple of Morris chairs over the next year; as prep, I purchased a Lie-Nielson medium shoulder plane.

Wow - that thing works! So I went back and picked up the low-angle block plane as well. that also works. I have come to the conclusion that if you are beginner at hand tools, you have to buy really good ones - or at least use some - to even know what is possible. If you are a pro, you can probably save a bunch by doing other things, but for a beginner, it is kind of like diving in the deep end where the sharks are. Suddenly, I understand the comments about using a plane to get rid of machine marks - previously if I used a plane I would need to do the other way around :-(

I had a small 'Bailey' block plane, but after several afternoons spent lapping the bottom is still not flat, nor is the blade. The blade is also about 1/2 the thickness of the LN blade and I have a really hard time getting the blade in that one or in the other Stanley (also from home depot) to stay put while I plane.

If you are a beginner at hand planes, I recommend splurging - my eyes are opened to a whole new world.

yea i just wish i had the money to get lie nielson planes. i know there the best though, someday i will get a set starting with the #62 then the #4-1/2. i don't really like their shoulder plane though so i'll get the veritas medium shoulder plane, i like the way it's supposed to be held with your finger through the hole drilled in it's side. i feel like i would have more control with that one but anyway back to reality, one day i'll get em.

·
Registered
134 Posts

Webb…...I took the plunge and bought a LN #4 smoother just before Christmas!! WOW is the only word that I could come up with….you are definitely correct in that you should start off with a plane that is fully tuned and ready to go out of the box. It is so worth the money and is such a pleasure to work with! But the good news is that back in October I found an old beat up but useable Stanley #% jack plane at the local Goodwill store for $4.00 I bought it with the hope that I could use it but if not it would still be nice decoration in the house. I tried using it but couldn't figure it out. After having my LN I took the old number 5 back to the shop, put a piece of 6o grit paper on the counter and started to sand (grind ?) then I took the blade to my worksharp and after a half hour or so have a plane that works every bit as good as the LN. But I would still like more LN planes the are awesome!!

·
Registered
27,252 Posts

I agree with you that, when it comes to tools, you get what you pay for. When I first got started in this hobby a pro advised me to not be shy about spending money on tools. He said to buy the most tool that my budget would allow. The few times that I have let only the cost of a tool determine its purchase I have come to regret it later.

I have always been impressed with LN tools. They definitely are quality tools and well worth the money that they cost.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.