LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner

New To Woodworking

5K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  sbryan55 
Intro

INTRODUCTION
Hi my name is Patrizio, I live in Australia Sydney, I am 35 years old Male. I am an Electrician and been in the trade for over 10 years.
I have no experience in woodworking expect for a single project I made a couple of years ago. I made an aquarium hood using a circular saw and a drill. Not bad considering the tools I used and it looked pretty good. I love creating things from scratch and sitting back drinking a beer and saying to myself I made that.

I just recently started getting more interested into woodworking, looking at videos reading blogs and articles. I have learned a lot of things from reading but making the right decision to start was really hard. All reviews for tools are from big companies names and when you look to purchase them, they are quite expensive.

I have found that woodworking like many others hobbies is expensive. Buying everything that you see in video's and reviews is impossible. I worked out getting what you need to start with your first project, then building it up from there.

Getting into woodworking was hard, what table saw, router, fence system, blades, hand tools and etc… to buy. Blogs or info for people starting out is hard to find, you need to read heaps of website and still have no idea at the end.

I hope by posting my experiences in what I did to get to the stages I am should help any new people to woodworking. I hope I can put it into simple terms and explain highs and lows of my journey.

I am also very bad with my hobbies, I start with a bang and never finish anything so I hope that by being part of this community you guys and girls can push me to continue with it.

EQUIPMENT - Table Saw
I finally decided on a budget to spend for a table saw, and after heaps of searching on the web I pick the Carba Tec 10" CTJ-650. It is the cheapest in there range but it was the best in that price range comparing it other table saws brands for that price.

EQUIPMENT - Fence System
As you can see I did not attach the fench system that come with the Carba Tec Table Saw, I purchased an Incra Fence System that is coming in the next couple of days. I will post photos and how I went to install it.

EQUIPMENT - Work Bench
Ok it is not the perfect work bench but this is what was already at the house, I am renting and it is good enough for starting out. I installed the vice onto the bench that was my first woodworking project. My first project involved me to install the vice and make the wooden handle. I wanted to use the wood glue I bought and test my hand skills with the Rasp File I bought. I made the handle from some scrap wood that I stuck together with wood glue and filed it round by hand.

I also made a push rod from wood scrap I had, I will post picture later.
As you can see I don't have many woodworking tools but in my other logs I will explain what I bought, why and what I think about them. I am from Australia so I don't know if you have the same equipment or not but the process of finding the tools should be the same.

Ok this is my first entry to this web site and I hope it is one of the many I hoping to post.
Cheers, Patrizio
Welcome to L J and as a newbee myself I say as Scott and patron and enjoy the travel in to woodworking

Dennis from Denmark

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.