LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
I have been refinishing & repurposing furniture for a while now but I don't know how to build a thing on my own that I would consider craftsman like. I want to build custom amenities for my new place. My first project will be shelf/bench structures that will go over the radiators. ANyone have any suggestions on where I should start?

· Registered
1,061 Posts
Lisa, welcome to LumberJocks.

The are many, many, many references for building furniture in the craftsman or arts-and-crafts style. I'd start with back issues of Fine Woodworking and/or Popular Woodworking magazines, as well as the books on the subjects that they also publish (or have published).

Failing that, use Google. Arts and crafts bench plans gives over 10 million hits…

· Registered
618 Posts
Craftsman joinery would be my suggestion. Mortise and tenon is one of the of the hallmarks of the Arts and Crafts movement. White oak quartersawn or rift sawn. As to design there are great books that will give you great ideas. I love arts and crafts furniture. I bought a dedicated mortise machine although my early projects were done with a forstner bit and a chisel. Enjoy!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.