LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
8,861 Posts
Thanks! I seen this on opening day of the games.

Living so close to Canada, we have never considered Canadians as foreigners.

Canadian curlers come to our town every April, to our Last Chance Bonspiel.

They used to go back home with most of the prizes. LOL

Lately some of the USA teams have been winning.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
I don't know GMman… I would have considered all that stuff common knowledge. Maybe people look, see it's stuff they know, and don't have anything more to say.

I think Brokaw puts WAY TOO MUCH emphasis on Ken Taylor being hooked up with the CIA. There is almost more discussion of that in his little clip than about the world wars. I figured out myself (in the '80s) that he must have been working with the US. But he was a folk hero nevertheless and even came to our school to talk.

·
Registered
511 Posts
just for the record, you guys didn't win the war of 1812. it was fought to a draw, and is the reason the whitehouse is white, it was painted white to cover the fire damage from us trying to burn it down.

other than that, it was a nice piece. I kinda like my country.

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
I think Canada deserves its national pride, which was the point of the piece. The Olympic Games have been entertaining and very classy, in spite of one unfortunate death and some bad weather problems they've had to deal with. I'm on the US west coast, and Canadians are our most valuable neighbors. I've found them to be a generous people with great integrity. I appreciated that film, and I think Brokaw chose some fine scenery and historic examples to show a sweeping view of a large country, all within an edited clip in under four minutes.

·
Registered
5,533 Posts
What is conveniently missing from this little presentation is the fact that Canadian socialized healthcare is financed by the US Taxpayer. That is indisputable fact.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
As someone who has both US and Canadian citizenship ( Yes, even that is possible!), if you are a US American watching this video and there is something in there that you didn't already know, then it's time to get your head out of your butt and get out more!
It's laughable that Brokaw even has to do a piece on Canada to its own neighbour!

·
Registered
35,383 Posts
Haven grown up in Canada until I was 13, I can tell you that we studied Canadian and American History.

When I moved to the USA everyone thought that Canada was all like St. Preston and the Yukon.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Cool find GMman. Nice to know that the US would take the time to assemble and broadcast something like that. We get so caught up in Hollywood produced stuff we forget about things like this.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.