LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
Hello,
I've bever used pvc for a project other than plumbing so, have no idea what is the best way to go about this. I am working on an outdoor project that is utilizing some PVC part that need to be painted. So far the only thing I have read that works well is Krylon™ Fusion brand and Rust-Oleum 2x Ultra Cover Paint+Primer. I have the pvc part sanded with 220 grit and now, I need to decide what to use to paint it with. Any suggestion for the best result?

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Plastics take paint differently. My experience is that sometimes it will come off in strips. For instance paint will not stick to Polypropylene. Where as ABS will take paint well. PVC may take paint well but I would try a sample piece and prime it with auto primer post sanding. sand again and paint.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Check the labels…

Some of the brands you mentioned specifically list plastics.

That said, I paint my plastic house shutters every 5 so years with an exterior latex that specifically lists plastic and vinyl as a surface it properly bonds with. The shutters get too hot to touch in the summer and see 10-15 below zero in the winter, and paint has not peeled.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Tractors Supply's IH Red Tractor enamel.
That stuff will stick to anything for decades.
I spilled some on some outdoor plumbing PVC about a decade ago and you still can't get that stuff off.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Things that happen by accident will never come off. if you meant to do it it will never stick. If you wanted to paint your white carpet black that stuff would peel off in sheets to reveal white carpet. If you look at it wrong with a glass of white wine in your hand you will stain it.
Tractors Supply s IH Red Tractor enamel.
That stuff will stick to anything for decades.
I spilled some on some outdoor plumbing PVC about a decade ago and you still can t get that stuff off.

- Dallas

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.