LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
I want to buy an awesome slab of wood and make a dining room table out of it. My plan is to make a 10' table with leaves on both ends that add 6 or 8 feet (not sure yet) with half on each end. I am looking for a way to support the leaves and so that I can have a (13' or 14') or a (16' or 18' table when all is said and done.

I want to add on to the ends because I want to cut the wood that the grain runs the long way and it will look good with none, one or two leaves attached. I am looking for the best extension and support method ideas you may have done or seen.

Thanks,

Dave

·
Registered
168 Posts
Dave, how often do you expect to add the leaves? I have a dining room table that with the leaves in seats 12. I need more than that maybe twice a year at most, so I built another table ( with its own base) that attached to one end. If you expect to use it rarely, I suggest you build two. Otherwise, I think it will be hard to support a 4 foot extension on either, or both ends, without getting some sag or wobble.

·
Registered
572 Posts
There is a style of dining table with leaves that store under the top.The top lifts and the leaf slides out on long rails. There is a plan in one of Tage Frid's books. I believe it's in volumn 3 of the 3 volumn set. It might be what you're looking for as the leaves extend past either end of the table.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
barryvabeach,

I don't want to do this if I can avoid it because it requires a storage are for those extra tables but if I have to resort to it, I will. Maybe I can do the slide out leaf from Tage Grid and add a leg or two on each leaf to support the far end.

Thanks for the thoughts.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.