LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
I need information on how to disassemble a Delta DJ20 8" Jointer. I got a really good deal on a Delta 8" jointer in Arizona. My problem is I need to disassemble it so I can bring it back to Michigan in the back of my F150. The first thing I thought of was to rent a uhaul trailer but the cost would wipe out my savings and I would have to take it apart anyways to get it in my basement. I've seen a bunch of posts on adjusting and repair but nothing on removing the infeed and outfeed tables. I've tried searching for Grizzly 0490 maintenance because it is a clone but still no luck.
If anyone has a information or a link it would be greatly appreciated. Pictures would be a bonus.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Can you break it into the base and jointer portions then rope it to a handtruck? (serious question, maybe a dumb one though, not sure of the weight distribution.) Once disassembled, will it require adjusting the tables back to square, and is that a bear of a job? For those who know, is this a similar job on most of the common floor model 8" jointers (of this era?)

·
Registered
6,132 Posts
+1 Best to only separate base from head, and transport as couple large pieces.

Removing tables requires major disassembly of head unit. Have to separate the head from base, after removing the fence. Flip it over, then disassemble the height adjusting mechanism and remove some bolts on bottom. Will have lots of loose parts when you get tables removed, so bring ziplock bags and marker to labels things.

Here is blog by person who asked same question: https://www.lumberjocks.com/Sarit/blog/27605

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm thinking if I remove the fence assembly and take the head assembly off the base it will fit in my truck. The overall length of the head unit is 76-1/2" and the truck bed is 78". Not sure how much the head unit weighs, probably north of 300 lbs. Leaving the tables attached is probably the smart play.
Here in Arizona we live in a 55+ community. Finding help moving it may be my biggest problem. There are a bunch of bad backs here

·
Registered
696 Posts
I used to have the same machine. If I recall correctly the base and top separate w/ either 4 or 6 bolts up from the bottom (inauthentic base). I'd remove the fence too and move in 3 pieces.
If u can wheel it to the truck bed you can unbolt the top and lift one side at a time and use 2×4 blocking to prop it up till you could pivot it into the truck bed yourself.

·
Registered
39 Posts
If it's not inside of your truck, think about the weather!
Can you figure out how to keep it dry before you go get it?

See how much you can remove easily. If the head unit will be heavy,
every ounce you take off will help, including crank handles, bolts, and whatnot

I've moved a lot of things that I technically shouldn't have been able to. If you
can strap it to a handtruck or dolly, and have ramps ready, that may help you
load and unload it. Maybe you could partially crate it, or attach the head to a
2×12 with some long bolts to make it easier to handle the awkward liad?

Best of luck

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.