LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Building cherry kitchen cabinets for the house.

Using 3/4" ply for the cabs and going with face frames and shaker style doors with 1/4" ply panel. (Amana router bits)

Contemplating 1.75" for the frames with 1/4" reveal.

QUESTION: What size should I use for the door stiles and rails?

Comments and/or advice is greatlly appreciated.

Scott

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
What kind of hinges? Cup hinges will need at least 1-7/8" (I prefer more), or your cup bores might show up in places you don't want.

I like to do my overlay doors with 2" (min) rails and stiles, and 1/2" overlay all around. It isn't too critical, but I also like to make my faceframes wide enough to allow 1/2" spacing between doors and/or drawer fronts.

For rail and stile drawer fronts, I like to use the same stile width as the doors, but make the rails narrower. I just think it looks better.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
GREAT point about the hinge cup size…I had not thought of that..

I was looking at BLUM 1-1/4 overlay from Rockler

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I pulled down the planning guide at BLUM and I think the 39C will work but they don't give requirement for door frame dimensions

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.