LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner

Need help translatingmy thoughts

1164 Views 9 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  Yonak
Ok guys,

I plan on building some pantry cabinets for my significant other, and I have an idea in my head of something I kind of want to do, but I'm having trouble getting the concept down and figuring out exactly what "technique" I'm thinking of (if it exists).

Here's the concept, I'm hoping you guys can help me identify/clarify:

The best way I can think to describe it, is like an inlay of a scroll sawn piece, possibly across the doors of the cabinets…. This picture was something crude I just threw together to kind of illustrate what's rattling around my head… Am I completely crazy? Is this a real technique? Is there a better way to accomplish what I'm thinking? Please help!!! :)
Rectangle Bird Wood Cabinetry Wood stain


See less See more
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
No, not too crazy… Insane; maybe… The thing you have to work out is the gap to make it come out right.. You may also need to make the vertical boards wide enough to cover the whole image instead of running into the panels. You can do it.
Oh, well I guess I also picked a bad reference image too then, because I wasn't necessarily thinking of the panel style doors like this, more the flat "regular" style…. mostly plywood was the original thought
Would this maybe be easier/better to do with something like a veneer inlay/marquetry type technique, rather than my initial thought?
I'd be wary of inlaying into plywood. It's likely you will get veneer chipout. How about panel and frame doors with ballooned stiles (and center rails, if used) large enough for your inlay ?

I don't see the gap between the doors as a hindrance. It's just a matter of getting the gap right and lining up the doors.
Wouldn't that be where something like marquetry would come in though? Or is marquetry typically much smaller pieces than this?
If I had one, I'm sure i could :)
Ok, follow-up question…. is it possible to do an inlay AND a surface veneering of the same area? For example, the plywood side of a cabinet, with a veneer applied to it, and then an inlay?
Here's an idea : If the inlay isn't fancy wood, how about putting your inlay pieces under the veneer and draw the veneer down over it ? The veneer would have to be soaked first. ..Just a kooky idea I had.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.