LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
I lost the chuck key to my very old B&D drill and it seems there are no replacement ones available.
So am looking for a new corded power drill.
I was looking for one with a built in level and found DeWalt DWD112 and Skil 6277-02 both have a level but not sure how useful they are. Are there any other models I should be looking at?

Thanks

Maybe I need this instead of a level:

http://www.japanwoodworker.com/Product/140876/Drill-Guide-Kit.aspx?gclid=CjwKEAjw25SoBRCMn7Gc97Knj0ISJAC7vaMrlwMAmv8k8R4irh038jWoQx8iEp0gnueXgVi5lEnyyhoC5ifw_wcB

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
I'll presume that you already looked in any local hardware stores for a replacement chuck key. Failing that, have you looked on eBay? I see a lot of odd treasures there, and they're not always overpriced.

Maybe this one is good? [link]

• I do not know the seller nor will I be compensated in any way from the sale of this item.

·
Registered
6,485 Posts
Agree with Dave about checking the local hardware stores. The stores I buy for carry a decent selection of Jacobs chuck keys, many more than most of the big boxes.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I thinking loosing the chuck key is a good excuse to buy a new drill.
I did look into getting a new key but its a crap shoot if it will fit or not.
But why would i want this new drill that requires a chuck when most of them do not?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Maybe he thought you were really wanting to stick to a wired drill that needed a chuck key? :).

I just look on Amazon and get whatever doesn't have terrible reviews. I think I have a DeWalt impact drill that can also do regular drilling.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wired yes, but I really don't want to EVER have another drill with a chuck key. I spent a lot of time loosing and then searching for it and finally lost it for good.
i think the keyless checks work better as well from what I read.

·
Premium Member
33,476 Posts
IF the old drill still works, and you can remove the chuck….you can buy just the keyless chuck and install it on your old drill.

Had an old, "D" handle Milwaukee 1/4" cord drill. Late FIL's. Didn't like the little 1/4" chuck, replaced it with a keyed 3/8" chuck. No problems switching them out, and the old drill didn't even notice the change.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
+1 for the DeWalt! It is a beast!

The keyless chuck on my DeWalt works as well as any keyless chuck I have used. That being said, there is no way that any keyless chuck will work as well as a keyed chuck. I have fought with keyless chucks for years and most of my drills still use keys - buy the keyholders that attach to the power cord to keep from losing them.

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
Forget the chuck key-you need to upgrade, dude.

Personally I'm a big DeWalt fan, but Ridgid makes a decent drill.

For ww'ing and light use you don't need a 65V drill ;-)
Get a light 12 or 14 Volt and save the heavy drilling for an AC drill.

I've never found those levels very useful.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.