LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
As some of you know Im making a jewelry box/case for my wife for christmas. It will stand and have 2 doors a drawer at the bottom and the top opens for more storage(thats the plan anyways). Well inside i wanted to have something for her to hang her necklaces on I found this carosel on rockler. http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=606&filter=Carousel But $32 is ridiculous for something that small. I was thinking of making something maybe out of a dowel or something but Im not sure how to make it turn. I also dont want to run a dowel all the way across because she would have to clasp and unclasp the neckleaces everytime. Any ideas on how to make one or somewhere i can find one cheaper ( way cheaper haha)
Thanks in advance
Vince

·
Premium Member
25,663 Posts
It shouidn't take too much imagination to make something on a dowel to go round and round with an end cap to hold it on.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Good idea scrappy. I've used the carousel from rockler before and have not found anyone that carries it but them. It's a really nice carouel and adds a lot of class to your box, but $32 is hard to swallow for such a small piece….........but remember, it's for your wife! lol.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Scrappy's suggestion is a great one (might use that one myself-thanks!). I think Lee Valley and Rockler both sell brass and aluminum rods that can be cut to fit. Epoxy a cap on one end like TS suggested, and whatever you wrap around the middle should pivot with no troubles. Good luck!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I have been thinking about this and came up with an idea I think will work, let me know what you guys think. If I take a dowel rod about 1"- 1 1/4" in diameter x 1" long and drill a 1/2" hole all the way through it. Then drill a 5/8" hole with a forstner bit about half way down from the top. Take a 5/8" x 1/2" dowel and glue a 1/2" dowel into that so that the 1/2" dowel will go through the original 1" dowel and the 5/8" dowel will stop it from falling through, then glue only the large dowel to the inside top of the case. In theory the 5/8" dowel should spin freely in the hole I would drill with the forstner bit as well as the 1/2" dowel that is glued to it. Then just attach some sort of hooks to the bottom of the 1/2" to hang the necklaces on. Seems like a good idea to me (in theory anyways) let me know what you think of that idea.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.