LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The first couple months

In September, I started coming up with ideas for my wife's Christmas present. The short of it is-I haven't finished it yet. Fortunately, it was a minor part of all that I was getting/making her, so she didn't go without this Christmas.

Part of my problem is that I'm still a greenhorn and purpleheart is a jerk to work with. Tearout, checking, and pitting is something I've had to deal with non-stop. For the past two weeks, my shop (no heating) has been below 0.

You can see that I've engineered this myself. I started using Sketchup the moment it was released years ago, so I'm pretty in tune with it. I chose purpleheart for the construction and ended up putting a curly maple insert in the lid. I have all the (plexi)glass cut and installed except for one side.

Here I have the door/side frames dry fitted just to give an idea of how they look.

Here I have the right 2 sides done and the one on the left dry fitted. My plan was to use tongue+groove on this whole thing, but I doubt that it will stay rigid. I might need some glue blocks in the corners.

Finally, I got the base and middle edge joined.

Since then: Finished the lid, finished the back

Todo: cut the groove in the middle section for the box on top and the sides/back below, cut the groove in the bottom for the sides/back, Drill a hole through the middle piece to have an inverted lazy susan for spinning necklaces around, sand, assemble, finish.

Thanks for taking a look. As I look back, I can already see a hundred things I'd do differently-not use PH, not use tongue+groove, not build something on such a small scale with more precision than my patience allots..

·
Registered
848 Posts
The first couple months

In September, I started coming up with ideas for my wife's Christmas present. The short of it is-I haven't finished it yet. Fortunately, it was a minor part of all that I was getting/making her, so she didn't go without this Christmas.

Part of my problem is that I'm still a greenhorn and purpleheart is a jerk to work with. Tearout, checking, and pitting is something I've had to deal with non-stop. For the past two weeks, my shop (no heating) has been below 0.

You can see that I've engineered this myself. I started using Sketchup the moment it was released years ago, so I'm pretty in tune with it. I chose purpleheart for the construction and ended up putting a curly maple insert in the lid. I have all the (plexi)glass cut and installed except for one side.

Here I have the door/side frames dry fitted just to give an idea of how they look.

Here I have the right 2 sides done and the one on the left dry fitted. My plan was to use tongue+groove on this whole thing, but I doubt that it will stay rigid. I might need some glue blocks in the corners.

Todo: cut the groove in the middle section for the box on top and the sides/back below, cut the groove in the bottom for the sides/back, Drill a hole through the middle piece to have an inverted lazy susan for spinning necklaces around, sand, assemble, finish.

Thanks for taking a look. As I look back, I can already see a hundred things I'd do differently-not use PH, not use tongue+groove, not build something on such a small scale with more precision than my patience allots..
Coming along nicely. If the tongue and groove joints are tight, I see nothing wrong with building it this way. It should be rigid enough….

·
Registered
327 Posts
The first couple months

you and I have the same basic Idea for a necklace box but I am using black walnut and no glass and I ma not dune with it .so we bouts fell bad for making the one we love wait makes me feel like a heal

·
Registered
117 Posts
The first couple months

Looks very nice, I might borrow this design from you. Do you have/want to share the sketchup files?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.