LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
neccesity

had to make a skinning knife on the fly-i left mine at home. I could not find anything reasonable to use, even though there were many assorted knives in the trailer.
So i used the Dremel to shape a cheap meat cleaver (that was already dented heavily on the blade) and sharpened it on my grinder. -then the handle broke.
We had just dumped some cherry in the fire pile, so i figured that would do!
It was better than that! -not too pretty yet, but maybe i'll refine it someday -at least sand it!!
-i smoothed off my cedar fleshing log real nice too!

Plant Wood Natural material Trunk Tree

Wood Automotive tire Trunk Motor vehicle Natural material

Twig Wood Trunk Mammal Shade

Attachments

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
neccesity

had to make a skinning knife on the fly-i left mine at home. I could not find anything reasonable to use, even though there were many assorted knives in the trailer.
So i used the Dremel to shape a cheap meat cleaver (that was already dented heavily on the blade) and sharpened it on my grinder. -then the handle broke.
It was better than that! -not too pretty yet, but maybe i'll refine it someday -at least sand it!!

Nice knife handle refit! I really like that the cedar log in pic #1 looks like a leg of lamb. Goes well with the knife. LOL So have you decided what you are going to do with that deer hide if you both survive the preservation process?

Attachments

·
Registered
403 Posts
neccesity

Very cool and resourceful. I like the look of the cherry handle better anyway.

Attachments

·
In Loving Memory
2,704 Posts
neccesity

Great looking skinner, especially made on the fly, as you say. Great job, nice looking knife.

Attachments

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
neccesity

I will put it in the closet with the other 5 i don't know what to do with, so the dogs don't eat them, until i figure it out.
-actually, Pan took it with him to try to work it some more. I don't know if the guy who shot it might want it. I have another one in the fridge.

The whole set up worked quite nicely; i guess i'll be using it again tomorrow night! -I still haven't had time to make the handle pretty.

Attachments

·
Registered
104 Posts
neccesity

My father used deerskin to cover his chair in the office. I used it as a cape.

-WW

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.