LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Building it

So, I am having a 20×24' workshop (with 10' walls) built by Tuff Shed in my backyard. First I needed a slab. So, the concrete guy dug, put in the forms, and the rebar.

Then they poured the slab.

A week later Tuff Shed showed up at 7:30 in the morning and started putting up the workshop. First they erected the prebuilt walls.

Then they put up the roof trusses.

And the roof.

At 4:30 that afternoon they were done!

Here is the interior.

And painted to match the house.

I decided that I needed a closet for the dust collector and air compressor. Both can be noisey and I wanted to mute that noise. So, I framed a closet and will put in an insulated, exterior door. I also will have sound absorbing insulation in the closet walls.

I have quotes for the drywall ceiling, electrical work, insulation, and a heat pump. I plan on having cellulose insulation in the 2×6 walls to minimize the need for AC and heat. I plan on installing and painting 7/16" OSB for the walls.
For the floor, I plan on a DeltaFL moisture barrier covered with 3/4" tongue and groove OSB with a clear finish.

The electrician starts next week!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Building it

So, I am having a 20×24' workshop (with 10' walls) built by Tuff Shed in my backyard. First I needed a slab. So, the concrete guy dug, put in the forms, and the rebar.

A week later Tuff Shed showed up at 7:30 in the morning and started putting up the workshop. First they erected the prebuilt walls.

And the roof.

Here is the interior.

I decided that I needed a closet for the dust collector and air compressor. Both can be noisey and I wanted to mute that noise. So, I framed a closet and will put in an insulated, exterior door. I also will have sound absorbing insulation in the closet walls.

I have quotes for the drywall ceiling, electrical work, insulation, and a heat pump. I plan on having cellulose insulation in the 2×6 walls to minimize the need for AC and heat. I plan on installing and painting 7/16" OSB for the walls.
For the floor, I plan on a DeltaFL moisture barrier covered with 3/4" tongue and groove OSB with a clear finish.

very cool, its going to be a great workshop. congrats.

·
Registered
118,619 Posts
Building it

And the roof.

Here is the interior.

outstanding shop

·
Registered
918 Posts
Building it

And the roof.

Here is the interior.

Very cool, keep the pics comming.

Thanks

·
Registered
131 Posts
Building it

And the roof.

Here is the interior.

Starting a shop from the ground up i s a great way to go, hopefully you'll have everything just where you want it. Congratulations and good luck with the rest of the project.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Building it

And the roof.

Here is the interior.

I love it when a plan comes together have fun in their brian

·
Registered
10,319 Posts
Building it

And the roof.

Here is the interior.

I love that stage of a project.

Nice shop.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Building it

And the roof.

Here is the interior.

Love it. I'm so jealous! Can't wait to see more pictures and details. One question: are you going to have an overhead door or at least a double door?

·
Registered
27,252 Posts
Building it

And the roof.

Here is the interior.

This is off to a nice start. It is so nice to see a shop built specifically for that purpose and not the end result of a garage conversion. Keep us posted on your progress.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Building it

And the roof.

Here is the interior.

Gonna be a nice shop. I envious of the 10' ceilings. Wish I'd done that. Thanks for the post.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Building it

And the roof.

Here is the interior.

I decided on a standard 3' wide door.

Three reasons:
I measured all of my machines and they are all less than 3' wide. The widest is my Delta Unisaw.

Second, anything I make has to fit through the door into my house and that is also a standard 3'door.

Finally, my goal is to have a well insulated shop to minimize my heating and AC costs. An insulated exterior door does that.

·
Registered
10,319 Posts
Building it

And the roof.

Here is the interior.

Remember a couple of things about that closet.

1. With you dust collector in there you will need an exit hole for the air to get out. This is what I did: HERE

2. With the DC and compressor in the same room the compressor can get clogged up with dust from the DC. No matter how good the DC is there will still be dust.

Good luck

·
Registered
191 Posts
Building it

And the roof.

Here is the interior.

Very nice! Keep the pictures coming.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Now the interior

The electrician starts tomorrow. He has to replace my 130 amp house breaker box with a 200 amp box and run an underground conduit to the workshop.
Then he roughs in the 120 and 220 circuits and the T8 florescent lighting.
Not cheap, but I will have all the electrical up to code.

I just heard that Sam Maloof has passed away. His work is inspiring to any woodworker, no matter what style you are interested in. He will be missed.

·
Registered
118,619 Posts
Now the interior

The electrician starts tomorrow. He has to replace my 130 amp house breaker box with a 200 amp box and run an underground conduit to the workshop.

I just heard that Sam Maloof has passed away. His work is inspiring to any woodworker, no matter what style you are interested in. He will be missed.
Now where talking it's getting closer all the time

·
Registered
511 Posts
Now the interior

it must be great to have it happening. I have to wait until august before i get my workshop wired.

·
Registered
10,319 Posts
Now the interior

Take a lot of pictures of everything before things get covered up.

That way if you ever need to change something you will know exactly where everything it at.

I did and it makes a big difference!

·
Registered
9,466 Posts
Now the interior

I agree with Gary. Take a bunch of pictures. That way you can always look back and see what it looked like when it was clean

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Now the interior

I did take many pictures of the wiring, etc. so that I can put together a drawing showing where all of the wiring is installed. Thanks for the suggestion

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
More progress on workshop

The electrician finished the rough electrical and the city inspection was passed. This morning he filled in the trench between the house and the workshop. I had him put in a cable TV coax in case I add a TV some day. So, I now have a 90 amp circuit to the workshop with all of the 110 and 220 volt circuits I will need. I am also putting in many T-8 lighting - as I get older I need more light.

Also, the drywall ceiling was installed yesterday. They should be finished in a few days and ready for paint.

Next is the blown-in cellulose insulation. Then wall paneling and floor.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.