LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14,504 Posts
Ok this is not really a joke, but most of us have funny idea when come to problem solving esp. concerning machine tools.
This is actually related to my recent forum about credit card scam where I was charged with false bills. So since I instructed the issuing bank to block my CC, I had to cancell the order for cast-iron handwheels I made few days ago.

So my emergency solution to my wobble TS handwheel is to replace it just with anything that might work. I saw my dead industrial fan lying on the floor, and got this idea - used the blade/propeller spook as the handwheel…LOL

First I dismantled the fan's blades leaving the three spooks, then drilled 3/8"D bore in the hub. Next I drilled 2/8"D hole at the end of one of the spooks and bolted the revolving handle from my original handweel. Since this fan blades' hub has biger setscrew, it was easier to tigbten it as compared to my original handwheel. Now can I tilt my TS blade much smoother than before.

·
Registered
27,252 Posts
That is certainly an innovative solution to your problem!! And a good excuse for not throwing the fan out, even though it was not working.

·
Registered
14,504 Posts
And you know what I've been thinking now?
I think I should buy another (china made industrial fan that has 6 month life-span) for only S41. use it and abuse it so I can take the blades' spook and use it to replace my TS blade lifting handwheel. It is $48 cheaper than buying one chrome 6" handwheel (product cost + shipping cost + tax =$89). And furthermore, I don't have to buy the tap and die set which costs me another $50. Sounds like crazy idea isn't it? ha.ha.ha.ha!!!!

·
Registered
103 Posts
And I'm trying to get rid of all the stuff I keep, knowing that someday, I'll find use for it! I'm without a doubt a "pack rat". I'm driving around one day and see what looks like glitter lying all over the road. I pull over to see what it is. A box of shiny new nuts & bolts had fallen out of someones truck. I found the box, picked them all up, put them back in the box. They were pretty good size, but very short. OK cool, felt like I hit the lottery! Fast forward 20 years (or more), they're still sitting on a shelf in my shop waiting for that special need! Very innovative use of your "stuff"!

·
Registered
13,760 Posts
great ' save ' ,

and you say it is much faster than the old one ?

now you can get ' cooled off ' ,

while adjusting the saw !

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.