LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6,058 Posts
MY son Russell is wanting me to make a nice garden sculpture.I know as an artist this might be more of a personal thing to do but I would love to hear your comments and ideas. fellow artists and woodworkers I bow as always to your superiority on these matters and await your worthy comments with baited breath. and such posh sounding stuff . Alistair

·
Registered
126 Posts
Alistair,
Think about what sort of things your son is interested in, what design styles he likes, what would be inspirational to him. Does he have a favorite song, poem, saying, scripture, sport or interst etc? You can incorporate those things, or elements of them into a gardens sculpture. If you have an interesting piece of wood - what elements does it have that you can bring out?

My grandfather had an intersting piece of black walnut with a blond streak through it. and a knot on one side. He used the knot to carve a rag hanging over it. Angling from top left to bottom right was what looked like a femur. and the blond streak - he carved into beautiful wavy hair. He named it "Woman" (This was many years ago and unfortunately the judges in the show didn't get the reference) It was from a Rudyard Kipling quote. I'll leave you guys to figure out what quote that was. He won fourth place in the Bellevue Arts and Crafts Show for sculpture- now a quite prestigious show. Had the judges been a bit more literate, they told him he would have gotten the blue ribbon for sculpture. One of the things I loved about him was his odd sense of humor.
Sarah

·
Registered
867 Posts
celtic cross or endless knot?

·
Registered
8,861 Posts
they have a sundial outside of the planetarium at our college similar to this.

I'll see if I can find an image of it for you.

·
Registered
8,861 Posts
Here's a link to the college sundial. I've seen plans for it out of wood in a magazine, but don't remember which one.

·
Registered
6,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have already made a Celtic cross and have it downstairs I'll take some pic's and show it tomorrow.The sundial sounds good any more sundial ideas? a water feature is too much hassle with pipes and all getting lots of frost in Scotland as we do still thanks so far guys-n-gals. Alistair

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
When I think garden art out of wood…it is mostly benches…arbors…or planting boxes/pots. A friend of mine made a beautiful planting tower from a stump and some creative additions. The plants grow in the pots and hang down over the trunk…the trunk is hollowed to relieve the weight…and can be used for storage…If you are interested I would have him send me a pic….All the other suggestions are excellent also.

·
Premium Member
25,653 Posts
mtkate, That is a fantastic idea!! I have always wanted to make one, but I haven't come up with an original design. Thx!! :))

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.