LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
My "new" workshop is an ex fish-farm barn, and has no cabinets, counters, shelves, or any other type of workshop furniture, so there is a long road ahead to get it decently workable. I have been taking pictures of the journey with my cellphone camera as it is the best digital camera in the house.

Anyway

Last night I was milling lumber for the planned lumber racks, and took a picture of a pile of rough-cut lumber next to a pile of half milled stock as part of the record when it happened. You see, I was in the middle of the milling job so I just left the planer running behind me while I photographed the piles in front of me. When i went to put the phone back in its holster, I fumbled.

I desperately tried to catch it and stop it hitting the raw concrete floor, but instead I launched it into the air over my shoulder. I turned to try catch it again but I was too slow. Somehow I managed to aim the phone at the small exposed area of spinning blade. The danger are was only about 8cm X 4cm, but the aim was dead on. The phone landed on the blade as if it was guided there. The pieces flew in a graceful arc and landed in the hay at the feed room door about 4 metres away.

There are still some shavings of phone housing missing, but we found the last critical part this morning. I assembled the pieces, and switched on the phone expecting the worst. Against all odds, the phone still works,and I'll be able to download some pics of the rack build for later posting.

I wonder if my insurance will believe me when I tell them that my Planer ate my cellphone?
-

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Quite the story, this seems like a good one to tell to the guys while sharing a few drinks, you had two one in a million shots there, the shot in the planer and the phone actually working after that. Thanks for the post.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Tough luck on the phone.

I've been taught to just let the stuff fall. Don't try to catch things, don't lunge for them, etc. Just let it hit the ground. No thinking involved, like "can I catch that chisel by the handle?" or "whoops, I've lost my balance and fallen face first into a spinning blade!".

You can replace a cell phone, re-sharpen a chisel or deal with a dinged up tool. Causing a serious injury to yourself because you tried to catch something just isn't worth it.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
I think you could be on a commercial for the company who makes or sells that phone! Sounds like $$$ to me!

Q: What did the buzzing planer say to the cell phone?

A: Buuuuuzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz-urp-burp!

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Naturally. You couldn't have hit that little 4×8cm area in a million years if you were trying to, but…

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Just read 15 replies and still laughing. You've got to post us some pictures of your phone and a video of the clerk when you take your phone back and try to explain what happened to it. LOL

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
A few years back I was doing some work outside and laid my cell phone down on the edge of the driveway. You guessed it - someone ran over it, crushing it into little pieces. Actually, getting rid of that thing turned out to be one of the happiest days of my life.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.